1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What kind of video card do I need for video editing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mulderator, Mar 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

I have a 1.8 P-4 older machine with an older ATI graphics card--I forget what model but not one of the higher end gaming models. When I edit videos, the video and the sound don't stay in sinc and the video freezes. I'm not sure if its the older processor or the video card or what. I'm looking to get a 3+ with 833 FSB, which should be plenty for video editing, but don't want it to bottle up with the video card. I also don't want an expensive gaming card if I don't need one, but obviously those things are built for really intensive graphics, but I don't think I need that just for video editing.

What do you recommend?

2. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Hey Mulder. The pros use ATI fire GL or nvidia quadro cards. Now those are expen$ive.

I really don't know much about video editing so I am mostly just jerking your chain. I "think" an 9800 All in wonder" might be what you are looking for though.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-297&depa=1

They are down in price at $259 but that is still steep. I think it would suit your needs though. The top AIW card from ati is the X800XT all in wonder. That baby is $500.

Looks like you might have to spend some cash but man video editing is your hobby right? I mean get something that will do the job without making you wait and jump through hoops to accomplish your goal.

You know more about video editing than I do but whatever you get buy something good. If not you will be kicking yourself later. Take this from someone that has bought way too many video cards.;) Buy what you want and then enjoy it. (y)

4. cheese

cheese

or the X850XTPE for only 899!

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

6. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    (Guessing that this is not professional video editing). Most any good video card will be satisfactory. The freezing video and sound/video not staying in sync is not a video card fault, that is being caused by something else. Not enough system memory, too many background services or programs running etc. What software are you using for the editing? I would recommend 1gb of memory, clean up in msconfig/startup and services. While the editing is being done, you might want to temporarily disable anti-virus also. A faster CPU would not hurt, but your 1.8 should be ok. Also a better list of your system specs would provide a better guesstimate for replies.

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

He needs the $2000 card. This is Mulder we are talking about. He has lotsa money. :p

8. Arcadion

Arcadion

I'd recommend a whole new machine. You won't be able to put an 800FSB P4 processor in your motherboard, it's too old.

9. cheese

cheese

How can you spend that much money, and it suck for games??

10. brite750

brite750

Actually I dont think its hardware, its probably just that the drivers are geared for CAD or video editting or whatever and not for 3D gaming, they also charge a lot because they figure your a business and using their card to make money, my CAD card was about $1200 retail at the time my company bought the workstation, Quadro4 980XGL was basically built on a Geforce4 card.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/347074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice