1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rebon, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rebon

rebon Thread Starter

Wonder if you can help me buy a good laptop.
    I have a HP 2.6 celeron laptop at the moment it has shared graphics.

I find it to slow, probably a mistake on my part to buy a celeron cpu with shared graphics.

Anyhow I want to buy a new laptop with a dedicated graphics card and not a celeron cpu, because and correct me if I am wrong celeron and shared graphics is the bottleneck.

So I need to buy a laptop in the UK for around £800/£1000, thats up to $1,882.59 to my USA friends. Only reson for not wanting to buy from the USA is that damed import tax :)

So is there a good fast bargain out there?

thx...rob

2. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx

dell has one for 849, it has p4-3ghz/pm-1.6ghz, 512mb ram, and 64 5200.
    P4
    Pentium M
    I even went to the UK website. :D

HP has a few that look good, but they do not have prices on their website, so i am confused. Gateway dosnt say anything about the UK. www.cyberpowersystem.com has a few worth looking at, but they say nothing about shipping out of the US

So i guess all i found out for you is dell is willing to ship to the UK.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes there are some good laptops about - A friend of mine bought one just before xmas for £650

so you want to look for
    Athlon or pentium CPU
    256M or ideally 512MB memory
    seperate graphics

he got a HP PC (cant remember the number)
    athlon
    256MB
    32MB seperate graphics
    DVD writer

from office world for £650

Dixons often have deals on - sometimes for a toshiba laptop - they had a great deal in september.....

4. rebon

rebon Thread Starter

Thank's for the replys guys, the range of laptops is confusing me some of the higher priced one's say they are say 1.6ghz cpu, to me that is not to fast :confused: My desktop is an amd 3ghz and a fx5800 graphics, so I was hoping for at least a 3ghz laptop with good graphics. Bit of a gamer myself so I need the power.

Anyhow thanks for the info I will keep looking.

thx...rob

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

Gaming and laptops dont mix.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice