1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Linux for my laptop?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by OM2, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

I want to try out Linux on my laptop

Which should I use?
    I was just going to go for Ubuntu - since I had heard of this one

I did a quick search and the options seem to be looads!
    NimbleX?? Is that any good? Is this JUST for portable - only asking for this one because it had most downloads on a page I looked at

What would you recommend?

Thanks

OM

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Ubuntu is still a good choice for an overall distribution.
    Your laptop should be able to handle it easy.
    For a desktop that is a bit more windows like,try kubuntu.
    It is ubuntu with the kde desktop.

3. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Ubuntu is a good place to get your feet wet so to say
    You can try it without doing any partition work.....it will create a "looped partition" using wubi
    With this setup your windows install remains untouched and a simple entry is added to your boot menu

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/windows-installer

4. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys
    i tried ubuntu 18 months ago booting from a cd
    i really didnt like the interface
    so, i might give kubuntu a go

5. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

They do look different..the navigation is a little different as well
    Both versions are customizable as far as appearance etc

6. geek117

geek117

Personally I prefer OpenSuse, but to each his own. If you want a great website that shows the most major distributions, check out Distrowatch.

7. ChildOfLore

ChildOfLore

GNOME (The default Ubuntu interface) has changed quite a bit in the last 18 months so it might be worth another try. You can switch between GNOME and KDE in the Ubuntu log-in screen.

8. TeDiouSish

TeDiouSish

I've suggested LinuxMint to people, and they liked it.
    http://www.linuxmint.com/

What are the specs for the laptop? (And the model, make)

9. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

dell 1525, 4gb ram, dual core 2.4ghz, onboard graphics
    to be honest, i think i'll go with the masses and choose ubuntu

10. TeDiouSish

TeDiouSish

Ah.
    There are loads of choices. If Ubuntu isn't to your liking another distro is just a web search away. :)

11. rkarolak

rkarolak

Ubuntu is a great distro to start. Easy to use, as well as powered by Debian. There's also Mint, OpenSuse, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, Debian... etc. I suggest try Ubuntu. If you don't like it, try some of its variants or try one of the others I listed... or anything else you can find! There are thousands of distros.

12. lewmur

lewmur

Please do not take this reply in the wrong way. I'm trying to be helpful and not trying to put you down. That said, "I didn't like the interface" is a senseless response. Sure, IMO, when you boot the Ubuntu LiveCD, the desktop you see is downright ugly. But that is just my opinion. Others find it quite attractive.

But so what? There are literally hundreds of other desktop backgrounds and themes to choose from. You can make your desktop look any way you want it to.

Let's assume you weren't talking about the "way it looks" but, rather, "the way it works." Most of the time when people say this all they mean is that it doesn't work just the way they are used to doing things. If this is the case, then you have to weigh your reasons for wanting to use it 'cause there IS going to be a "period of adjustment". No distro is going work for you if you aren't willing to use it long enough to become comfortable with how it works, because there is no distro that does things the way you are used to doing them.

Then again, one of the things about Linux is that there are so many different ways of doing anything, that, if you spend the time learning it, you can customize your installation to do things the way YOU want to do them. But that is the key. You can't boot a LiveCD and find one that you like "out of the box". Like anything worthwhile, you have to invest time and effort to produce something you are happy with.

My advice to anyone wanting to try Linux for the first time is to install VirtualBox in their Windows computer. Using Vbox, you can try as many different Linux distros as your heart desires. And you can do so without endangering your productivity. This way you can take as much time as necessary to learn Linux and become comfortable with it, BEFORE you even consider "switching".

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice