1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved What memory for my Gigabyte motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mwredt, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4094 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 464 GB (386 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-MA74GM-S2
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

The manual talks about enableing Dual Channel memory mode but doesn't say HOW to enable it. What do I do to enable Dual Channel memory mode?

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Dual channel memory mode is automatically done by the BIOS when both memory slots contain ram sticks of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips.

Does both ram slots contain memory? If both slots contain ram then it is running in dual channel mode. If only one ram slot contains ram then it is running in single channel mode.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    AmateurJohn likes this.
  3. lynx1021

lynx1021

Your board supports 2- 4GB DDR2 800/667 MHz memory modules for a Max of 8GB. 4GB modules are expensive and hard to find, saw prices from $75 to $100 per module. If you decide to upgrade make sure they say 100% compatible with your board or your money back. Crucial doesn't even have 4GB modules for your board. I am surprised it will run Windows 10 on a board made for Windows XP/Vista 32bit.

AmateurJohn likes this.
  4. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

Yes, there are two modules in the motherboard, they are 2GB each for a total of four. But what does double the bandwidth do? It still shows only 4GB of ram.
    My Windows 10 mostly runs ok but lately after the last couple of upgrades there are times when it slows way down to a crawl.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    amd.JPG

That's an old and somewhat weak processor, but it should run Windows 10 okay.

If you get rid of Avast and stick with Windows 10's built-in Windows Defender Security Center, that may help with speed and performance.
    It will also reduce the risk of having a problem with Windows updates.

I doubt increasing the amount of RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB is going to help much with speed and performance.
    And it doesn't justify the high cost of replacing those two 2 GB DDR2 modules with two 4 GB DDR2 modules.

We don't know how well you maintain your computer and what's installed and running in it, so that can have a big impact on speed and performance.

---------------------------------------------------------------

AmateurJohn likes this.
  6. 2twenty2

2twenty2

In the manual is written "Dual Channel Memory" You have 2gb in each ram slot for a total of 4gb. 4gb is the correct amount that is installed. Because there is ram in both slots it is running in "Dual Channel Mode" in other words using both ram slots. It doesn't mean 4gb is doubled to 8gb.

In dual channel memory systems, the memory modules are installed on two separate channels, each with its own access route to the memory controller, thus doubling the peak data bandwidth.

Here is a more in depth explanation - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture

AmateurJohn likes this.
  7. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

Thanks for helping me with information on memory and dual channel memory. And I will take your suggestion about getting rid of Avast antivirus.

8. 2twenty2

2twenty2

You're welcome! Thats very good advice that flavallee gave you about getting rid of Avast and using Defender.

9. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

However, my 4GB memory will have to do. I can't afford those prices for more memory.
    Thanks again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice