What modem to use??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stocker340

I need some help with a 56 k modem for a gateway essential win 98 computer. Its a boyt 5 years old.
I bought a new Intel pci modem and it cant find it and I get a fatel exception error.
It cant find the old modem either?

I thnk i read somwhere that this modem I have wont work cause its a 2.1 2.2 version??
What modem works with this older comp?

First Name
Bryan
I suspect the new modem you bought should work. Did you install the software that came with the modem? Have you check Device Manager to look for any yellow exclamtion marks? Do you see any devices listed as a "PCI Communications Device"?

stocker340

When install the modem it says it has detected a PCI device but then i click next I get the blue screen of death?

First Name
Bryan
Do you mean when you run the software setup that came with the modem? Is that when you get the error? Have you checked Device Manager to see what's listed? Right click on MyComputer and then select Properties>DeviceManager. Do you see any exclamations marks listed?

stocker340

Yes

this modem did the same thing on an older computer like this
It is not compatible or something

The directions say win 98SE and up?

Thxs

First Name
Bryan
Then you're going to need W98SE. You can get an upgrade CD pretty cheap if that interests you.

First Name
Bryan
http://www.9software.com/shopexd.asp?id=78

If you do decide to upgrade, be sure to check what version of W98 you have first. I'm on my way out the door but someone can help you verify that you have W98 OEM First Edition which is required for that W98SE CD Update above.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, Right click My Computer, then click Properties> on that screen, it should tell you version number of windows, like this:
Windows 98

Second Editon looks like this:
Windows 98
Second Editon
4.10.2222A
The update to win98 should allow you to use a newer modem....you will need to install the modem drivers after your operating system is updated.
When you do the 98SE update- be sure to visit Windows Update and see what you need-
I'd also visit Gateway site- they have a feature where you can scan the system after you register- automated updater....it works pretty well, and I think it will work for even this old a machine....my 433c is over 3 yrs old and the scan works on it.
You should also go into Safe Mode now, and verify what devices are listed....in Safe Mode, you may find duplicate modems, etc that should be removed.
Safe Mode- in the Device Manager, click Remove for devices you know you do not have. Old drivers can be removed from Add/Remove Programs, too, but you have to KNOW what things like video, sound, modem you have and are using/going to be using so be careful not to remove the wrong things. You ge to Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key at bootup, another way is to press and HOLD down the CTRL key at bootup until you see a menu....then select "Safe Mode" it is the same as regular Windows, except video and some other drivers are not running, picture looks washed out, but it operates the same. CDROM not accessible from Safe Mode, no Internet either. Just a diagnostic mode-when you restart, it should go back into Normal mode.

If you don't finally get it to work, I will tell you what works 100% of the time for me in all systems. First the AOpen FM56-SVV (that's two V's, not a "W") is the one I buy the most of because it is cheaper. Secondly, the FM56-PM costs just a few dollars more but works well in older, slower systems.

The PM model is out of production but is still available. Go to www.pricewatch.com and do a search in Modems for FM56-PM.

stocker340

Thanks everyone

I have it solved. It was the new modem.
It was bad.

Thxs all of you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts