1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What motherboard and processor is best for my system?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gundanium1, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gundanium1

gundanium1 Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I recently decided that it was time to upgrade my pc's processor, and thought I might aswell get a new motherboard at the same time. I have done custom work to my PC and am fairly competent in most areas of a pc, but I have no idea what is compatible or reasonable in a motherboard. If anyone could advise me that would be great.

I currently run a dual core Dell XPS 700 with 3gb ddr2 RAM and a 1gb nvidia geforce 9400 GT. The OS is windows 7 32bit professional. I was hoping to get a good speed quad core with ddr3 ram but again I dont know what is compatible with the items I have listed above. Also I dont want to spend a fortune.

Any help that could be provided would very much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Welcome to TSG!!!

Are you looking at trying to upgrade in your existing case? Or all-out new build? You are better off with the latter, especially if the Dell still works well. It will cost a little more, but having a second system around for others to use (kids, grandkids, siblings, spouse, etc.) would help keep them off of your PC!

3. gundanium1

Was thinkin of just upgrading the XPS, cause the case fans and power supply are all good and I already have two dvd/cd drives and other bits. Did notice that its almost the same price for a new system as for a decent motherboard/processor bundle.

Dont mind getting a new rig if its gonna work better but my bank balance may refuse that kinda money lol.

Thanks for the quick responce.

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    I can relate to that! What I did last year was buy a component as I could afford it. I picked up a case one month and a power supply the next. I think I got the DVD-RW and HDD next. Then at Xmas I asked Santa for a little help, and with some cash (thanks Mom!), I got the motherboard, CPU and memory. It's not quite as good as instant gratification, but I ended up with a nice system, exactly what I wanted.

Yeah, I could have spent more, gotten more power, etc., but I don't need it. I'm not a big gamer. It does what I need and want it to do.

5. gundanium1

Yeah, i got a graphics card then speakers then a new monitor over the last year so this is the next step. No idea what I should get for a motherboard processor bundle though. Do i have to stick to specific brands cause im using an nvidia graphics card?

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Specific brands should not be necessary. Without getting into the Ford/Chevy, Coke/Pepsi battles, you can pretty much run what you like/can afford. There may be some brands to try to avoid (I think I read ECS was one of them). I've always used and trusted Asus, but I believe Biostar and Gigabyte are good names as well.

The main things are matching up the preferred CPU with a motherboard. Most manufacturers will specify the CPUs they tested with, or that are compatible with their boards. Usually you will find compatible memory as well. With everything else, pretty much as long as it will connect, it should work. If the board supports your type of video card (AGP, PCI-e, x2, etc.) you can run it. If it supports your type of HDD or optical device (IDE, SATA, etc.) you can use it. Be sure the power supply provides adequate power and has the correct connectors. Be sure the board physically fits!

7. gundanium1

Cool thanks, think ill get a bundle so i dont need to worry about compatibility of processor, but ill need to have a good look in my machine for the size. Really greatfull for the help.

8. Mcbee

Mcbee

You will need a BTX motherboard for that system. Easier to start from scratch.

9. gundanium1

Is that due to size constraints or just because of the system itself?

10. BruinBeer

BruinBeer

Maybe it will be a good idea to start from scratch as mentioned. Then you can leave all the parts in your current computer and leave it a complete pc for other uses.
    If you don't want to spend a fortune for the new build you can go the AMD way if you want.(I appologize for not posting links to parts, but I work mainly with my mobile and it don't want to copy links)

11. gundanium1

I wish I could start from scratch but the cost would be higher than I cud afford at the moment, plus I really do like this pc as I've done so much to it that its really my own creation anyway lol. What I might have to do is just bin the XPS case but keep the parts, that way I dont have to change everything and can almost strat from scratch. Sell my old stuff and use the money for this.

That in mind whats the best motherboard and processor I could get, within reasonbly priceing, for gaming at a decent level?

Again cheers for all the help!!!

12. BruinBeer

BruinBeer

Take a look at the AMD Phenom II X2 550BE or if you can reach it, the Phenom II X4 965 etc.
    With mboards I'm not very clever, so you can wait for the clever guys to reply

13. gundanium1

Can anyone confirm for me that this is true? Sorry to doubt you Mcbee, just want to be sure as the xps 700 case is actually quite good and I would rather keep it than replace it.

Is anyone had a similar system to mine and tried upgrading the motherboard?

14. catlady13

catlady13

I just googled and it seems it is a BTX

15. gundanium1

Ahh crap, hoped it wasnt. Oh well, excuse to buy more stuff with money I dont have...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice