1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What must I know before buying Ethernet Card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by K-Man, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. K-Man

K-Man Thread Starter

My ethernet card seems to be nearing death. :( What do I need to know about my system when purchasing a new one?

Also: Any recommendations on a specific card?

MOBO: Intel 440 BX
    CPU: PII 350Mhz
    RAM: 192Meg
    Browser: IE5
    Connect: DSL

Thanks!

2. brite750

brite750

You just need and open pci slot, Netgear FA311 10/100 Fast ethernet, one of the easier to install on win98

3. K-Man

K-Man Thread Starter

Thanks brite750!

I have a Netgear card now though. Is it pretty common for ethernet cards to go out, or am I just "lucky"?

What about when I install a new one? Am I going to need to go through all that set-up again? I had to make FOUR calls to my ISP's tech support, each one about an hour, to get all the protocols set right for the one I have now. Anything I should write down before I make the switch?

4. 4steve44

4steve44

kman, what makes you think that you network card is going out? :confused:

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I concur with 4Steve, why do you think its going bad?

"I had to make FOUR calls to my ISP's tech support, each one about an hour, to get all the protocols set right for the one I have now." this seems more like a Windows/Driver problem.

6. brite750

brite750

I guess that would be the first question, and yes nics do die, but i don't know why you would have had a hard time installing it, i takes about 5 mins tops.

7. K-Man

K-Man Thread Starter

I guess I should have mentioned: When I boot up, I am more and more frequently getting a message that my netgear card isn't functioning properly. Even when I don't get the message, I almost always have to do one or two restarts on the system to be able to access the net. As I have a DSL connection, and can see right on the modem that IT is connected, the problem lies between my browser and my modem... which is where the ethernet card is, right?

I WOULD have expected a driver problem, as Triple6 points out, if not for the frequent messages about the netgear card itself.

I am certainly not uncomfortable with installing a new one, but simply wonder if I will need to setup all my DNS numbers and whatnot all over again. Also: I've been told that a new ethernet card is really not expensive, but I just wondered if any one model was better than the rest.

Does this clarify things any?

Thanks to all for your help so far!

8. Biddlesby

Biddlesby

Everything dies eventually. Network cards aren't expensive, I've got onboard at the moment but the other computers in the house use some cheapo netgear model. Works fine.

As for the information re-setup - I'm not sure. Shouldn't matter too much if you do have to. Just note down all the numbers you've got now.

9. K-Man

K-Man Thread Starter

Thanks Acacia! That's half of the question. Guess they're all about the same.

Maybe I should contact my ISP's support about this before I switch out the cards?

Thanks everyone!

10. brite750

brite750

Half of what question?? i recommend the netgear because i've have other brands that you couldn't get the drivers to work right, linksys and microsoft cards are crap IMO, the netgear you install the card, boot up, point install wizard to the FA311 folder on driver disk and your there.

11. saikee

saikee

I use cheapy generic 100Mbit Ethernet card that cost £4 or US$8. There is nothing to set up, for both Windows or Linux, as it is connected to the router.

12. K-Man

K-Man Thread Starter

Oops... Sorry brite750! I didn't really realize the info on the Netgear FA311 10/100 was a recommendation , since you didn't really say why it was any better. Thanks for the clarification.

The other half of the question to which I was referring was the part about whether or not my system's settings will need to be changed for the replacement card.

Thanks!

13. brite750

brite750

Not sure what your network setup is, for me using a router i didn't have to change anything, once the card and drivers were installed the router assigned addresses to all 4 pcz and 2 xboxes.

14. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

3com probably the best and most expensive. i've got one and the rest are linksys.

when you get the new card go to control panel/system/device manager and remove the current card in network adapters.

power down the computer, remove the case and the old network card and put the new card in the same slot, leave the case off.

power up the computer and 98 should see the new card. have the install floppy/cd handy, select have disk/ok and it should do the install.

reboot and internet should work if all your settings are correct for internet/email.

i mentioned leaving the case off becuz you might have a bad pci slot that the card goes into and that might be why you got error messages.

if so, try the card in another slot. the old card may work in another slot.
    i had this happen a while back. the new card wouldn't work in the old slot but when i put the old nic card in another slot it worked fine and nothing had to be changed in the way of settings.

when it's working properly, power down and put the case back on.
    good luck. :cool:

15. K-Man

K-Man Thread Starter

Thanks to all who contributed on this thread, for all your recommendations and useful info! :D

If I do need to get a new card, I'll probably go with another Netgear; for the simple fact that it's the brand I have now, and seems least likely to conflict because of that. :eek:

I WILL be writing down ALL of my current settings though, just in case. :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

Thanks again everybody!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice