1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What new printer to buy??? Scanner??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cosmic, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmic

Cosmic Thread Starter

Going to the local computer show tomorrow to buy my new computer system. Going to get a new printer / scanner too.

For around $120 what ink-jet printer would you buy taking into account print quality, cost of ink, reliability. Just do normal printing and your general quality photos.

Also in the market for a new scanner, again something in the $100 range. Again just general use.

Anybody got a lot of experience with the combined printer-scanner-copier All-in-one models? Would you recommend the All-in-One versus separate equipments? Pro's / Con's. What models?

Anything that somebody has and just loves?

Maybe I should have asked what models to avoid at all costs too?

2. chakorules

chakorules

Well here is my opinion on PRINTERS ONLY.

I was a Helwett Packard guy for the longest time. I have one at home. But what makes me so mad about an HP printer is the cost of the ink cartridge. HP printers are pretty fast and good in DRAFT mode. That's normally what I print. They are starting to print ok with pictures too, but I print alot and I've tried re filling the HP print black ink OK and it works, but I've never been able to re fill the color ink. So if you buy a re fill kit and do the black ink only, then get an HP printer. Also if you DO NOT print alot, get an HP printer too. Because if you don't print alot, then your printer sits along time without printing which clogs the ink nozzles which dry up. With an HP printer, you can fix this yourself by going to get another ink cartridge. This I guess is an advantage because you get new ink and new ink nozzles with EVERY ink cartridge you purchase.

But if you print ALOT, and keep the ink flowing, then there is no need to worry about the ink nozzles. I'd recommends Epson printers.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ProductCategory.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-8165

The C84 printer is the BEST BANG for the buck in my opinion. The ink is $10.00 less than an HP printer. I really, really like that EACH color has it's own tank, four tanks are separate in an EPSON C84. The Epson prints out FABULOUS photos, better than an HP normal printer, but not better than a HP photo printer....I don't like the print quailty or speed of an EPSON over an HP for my self, but I like the four tanks and the price of the ink cartridges. It's REALLY EASY to refill the tanks yourself with an EPSON, both Black and Color. If you don't print alot, you might have to buy an INK NOZZLE replacement for this printer if you let it sit for a long time without printing.

If your into SPEED only, black and whites. Then nothing will beat the Lemark printers. Those freaking printers are FAST.....but again same problem with ink cartridges.

I would NOT recommend an ALL-in-WONDER printer. You tend to suffer the quailty in both with a package deal, get indiviual printer and scanner for the best quailty.

As far as Scanners, HP makes pretty good scanners in my opinion, very fast.

Hope that helps.

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Thread Starter

Thanks,

Your comments are typical of what I am hearing. People love the HP's but hate the ink costs. I was tending to lean toward an Epson. Have one that is one its last legs. Lasted almost 5 years. I do refill my present one.

That Epson C84 sounds like something up my alley.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice