1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what operating system should i buy?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by takatomon, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. takatomon

takatomon Thread Starter

i'm a little bit confused with the prospect of what operating system to go with when i buy a new PC. one of my biggest concerns is going with XP as i've seen what looks like ALOT of people having problems with it everywhere (not just here). it seems like it's not very stable.

aside from that, what on earth is OEM? why is it 1/2 the price of a "full version"? is it just an upgrade and not a complete operating system? is it a preloaded on PC OS without a CD in case a system needs to be reloaded?

what's the difference between XP home and XP professional? eventually, i'd like to use some CPU intensive programs like multitrack audio recorders and 3D modelling programs. what do i need to use them? what is the most stable OS? might i fare better with an older OS?

2. MINz

MINz

XP is the operating system to go with. It is the most stable OS so far from M$. OEM is software you would buy if you purchase the software with hardware. OEM software is typically full versions. XP Home is a stripped down version of XP Pro. Basically it doesn't have support for multi-processors or the ability to connect to a domain.

MINz

3. Rockn

Rockn

Most stable OS?? What fantasy land are you living in...LOL Win2k is made for the business environment, is far more stable, less candy coated than XP will ever hope to be. If you don't play games and want a "stable" platform go with Windows 2000 Pro. OEM versions are only meant to be sold with hardware like a hard drive or only to system integrators. With the new licensing I would be very wary of buying anything OEM nowdays.

4. MINz

MINz

Win2k is yesterday's news. The focus is on XP now. To say Win2k is more stable than XP is just your opinion. As far as XP being candy coated....well.....maybe I'll just let that one go.

If you are purchasing hardware then you should get the OEM version of the OS you choose. You will save money.

MINz

5. forte21xx

forte21xx

...more like XP actually looks decent. I'm glad M$ actually did something about the interface, but you still can't apply unsigned themes without tweaking your system. Anyway, I've used both home and professional and unless you are using dual processors or are operating a buisness, home is the way to go. I've seen virtually no differences on the user level. XP is very stable compared to 9x, and it's a great OS unless you'd rather use the outdated 2k or struggle with linux.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Both os are stable and work well. It comes down to what you like. I use both xp pro and win2k. Both os have been kept up to date via service packs. My personal preference is for win2k simply because I do not like the cute, cartoon look of xp.

I would try both before you decide on which one you want. XP does have a few nice features such as system restore; it can save you a lot of time when an install goes badly. XP took some of the things you used to do manually such as setup a network and automated them. For people who understand how to do these things, xp often gets in the way. Again I would try each os then decide.

7. pjblevin

pjblevin

As far as the "hardware" is concerned, I've bought OEM discs several times......the "hardware" that was shipped was a little phillips head screw. I didn't have any problem with any of the OEM discs, and they were a lot cheaper.

8. takatomon

takatomon Thread Starter

i'm not going to buy several discs, just one. i'm not even keen on having to do that as i feel that operating systems are overpriced as they eventually become obsolete and need to be bought again. i use windows 95 and i wouldn't consider it unstable as i haven't had any problems with it, but then again i haven't added many programs and just one printer.

i definately don't need XPpro then. i'll be buying a basic up to date PC just to do the things i can't with this dinosaur.

it still seems like i've read a ton of different stories here and there where people have had compatability nightmares with XP and other hardware and/or software.

as to needing "expert control" that 200 seems to offer, that's something i'll NEVER need. most of the extent of my hacking abilities is "point and click", read the instruction manual, or ask someone else who knows the nuts and bolts.

so when i buy a PC, then windows XP OEM will meet my needs and give me a CD in case i need to restart my PC like i probably should with this preloaded (no cd) dinosaur.

thanks for your feedback everyone.

9. Tact

Tact

if you've got a pc with 95, buying xp ain't even going to help. theres no way you have the min sys req's for it. lol. then again, i have a computer that came with 98 and i upgraded it like no other. (check out my sig :D its a 400i lol)

anyway. just get a new pc and xp will come with it. trust me, you'll love xp. the compatibilty issues your worried about won't even come up if all you've ever installed to your 95 machine was a printer! your new pc will COME with a printer if you get those offers they always have.

and compared to 95, 98, and me, xp is like the linux of windows. you probably couldn't make it crash even if you tried. :p trust me, all computer newbs with your limited pc knowledge love xp.

its only the pro's that know how to setup their own ftp server withouth any software and create multiple partitions with multiple os's using dos with their eyes closed are the people that are annoyed with xp and compatibility issues. you have nothing to worry about.

btw no offense to your pc knowledge. i'm just saying. :p

get a new pc and it will come with xp.

10. pjblevin

pjblevin

tact:

You gave takatomon excellent advice, and was eloquently presented!

pjblevin

11. Cris_Cr0ss

Cris_Cr0ss

yea im not too smart about setting up my own ftp if it werent for Serv-u i dont think i would of been able to and i mean cjdriver you can always change the look of your computer with window blinds. www.wincostumize.com is the site to be for skins. In case you didn't know.

I had 95 went to 98 went to Me and personally if you liked Me or 98 then go with Xp Home Im using Pro although i have used both, I like them both but i like Pros extra features.

cant find the site that compares the two

i know its on microsoft.com but dont know where.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  13. Cris_Cr0ss

Cris_Cr0ss

THanks tidus thats the one i was looking for.

14. pjblevin

pjblevin

Here's a list of some differences between XP home & XP pro:

Backup—XP Pro has the standard Win2K backup program; XP Home has no backup program.

Dynamic Disks—XP Pro supports dynamic disks; XP Home doesn't.

IIS—XP Pro includes IIS; XP Home doesn't.

Encrypted File System (EFS)—EFS debuted in Win2K and lets you encrypt files on an NTFS partition, a very useful feature for mobile machines. XP Pro includes EFS; XP Home doesn't.

Multiple Monitors—XP Pro supports up to nine monitors; XP Home supports only one monitor (Windows Me/Win98 supported multiple monitors).

Multiprocessor—XP Pro supports up to two processors; XP Home supports only one (as did Windows Me/Win98).

Remote Assistance—Both editions support Remote Assistance, which lets someone from a Help desk connect to the client desktop to troubleshoot problems.

Remote Desktop—XP Pro adds to Remote Assistance by letting any machine running a Terminal Services client run one Terminal Services session against an XP Pro machine.

Domain Membership—XP Pro systems can be domain members; XP Home systems can't, but they can access domain resources.
    Group Policy—XP Pro supports group policies; XP Home doesn't.

IntelliMirror—XP Pro supports IntelliMirror, which includes Microsoft Remote Installation Services (RIS), software deployment, and user setting management; XP Home doesn't support IntelliMirror.

Upgrade from Windows: Me/Win98—Both XP Pro and XP Home support this upgrade.
    Upgrade from Win2K/NT—Only XP Pro supports this upgrade.

64-bit Support—Only XP Pro will have a 64-bit version that supports the Itanium systems.

Network Support—XP Pro includes support for Network Monitor, SNMP, IP Security (IPSec), and the Client Services for NetWare (CSNW); XP Home doesn't.

15. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

In essence, for a home user, unless you want to throw everything you know out the window and move to linux/bsd camp, you want XP home. (Course, if you do decide to try Linux out, there are some very helpful people in the Unix/Linux forum here.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice