1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what operating system should i buy?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by takatomon, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. takatomon

takatomon Thread Starter

i'll definately need windows. (i'd RATHER go with apple, but it's way too expensive even if i can emulate windows with it)

there aren't many programs that i'd use that are available on linux.
    NO chess programs (i have chessmaster and fritz CDs)
    NO multitrack audio programs (getting cubase)
    NO software samplers (getting reaktor or absynth)
    NO software synthesizers (getting EMU)
    NO 3D modelling/animation software (trying old carara)
    and
    photoimpact 7.0 is dirt cheap now

i don't see any reason to go with linux for what i need.

i don't plan on using XP on THIS PC, i'll be buying an "entry level" custom built AMD based PC as this PC has become TOTALLY useless.
    win95/166MHz/32MB/1.2GB/B&W printer/256 color video...

yeah, i'm livin' life in the fast lane. LOL i can't even buy a CDR for this dinosaur anymore.

as to all of the XP pro percs, i don't need ANY of the ones that i understood and being clueless about most of the others, i doubt i'd ever use those either. i just need an OS that will let me use a new PC with a little bit of future upgradeability as i buy some new programs and/or install 24/96 soundcards and a video in card BEFORE the PC becomes "upgradeproof" like this one. then i can keep my PC for many years.

XP should suit my needs. i'll leave "pro" to the pros.

2. takatomon

takatomon Thread Starter

now i'm having misgivings about XP. in another thread about loading it, and someone SEEMED to have said that i won't be able to.

aside from that, someone else that i talked to raved on and on about how much XP stinks and how much better 2000 is and that if i did buy XP, that it would stop working after 30 days until i fork MORE money over to microsoft!

that can't be true. is it? microsoft can't sell someone a $100 product that "breaks" in thirty days. they can't sell software that won't load because i don't have a floppy or license with OEM.

are either of these disturbing claims true?

3. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

30 days is the limit for un-authorized xp versions. After you authorize, it will work fine. A lot of this depends on your point of view. Even an entry level PC will run XP decently. Just load up on the ram.

4. Cosmic

Cosmic

I bought two new machines. One I got XP Pro and the other Win2000. I far prefer Win2000. XP will give you a lot more problems. When it messes up, it really messes up. Making and keeping a lot of full backups is the name of the game. Don't buy that nonsense that system Restore will fix everything, it won't. Just read these forums, lots of crashes with XP, especially things like it wouldn't recognize a hard drive, printer, driver problems. Can be a real pain. You have to be careful and make sure all the hardware and software added say supports XP in advance. Not everything does. If you are careless about installations, protections, security, backups and protecting yourself, XP can be a nightmare.

XP is nice for the music and video features. Win2000 is far more the steady workhorse. I use both, if I only had to buy one, it would be Win2000. That hassle of registering XP and only ever being able to use it on one machine really puts me off. What if this machine burns up? What if I buy a new computer and want to scrap this one?

Win2000 is far more akin to Win98SE but without the hassles of not being fully supported and it is far more functional. In the short time I have owned both machines have had more than my share of problems with XP, none with Win2000. If you get the full version of Win2000 can move it to other machines if your present one dies.

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer. Yes it is true XP only gives you 30 days to register on that particular machine. You pays your money and takes you chances. I'm sure glad I didn't put XP on both machines. Think it is going to be plenty quirky, starting to believe it is defective. I use care in the type of operations I do with XP. XP is kind of flashy and glitz and made for people that want everything "automatic". A nice to have OS, but I would not want to have to depend on it for my main computer that must work everyday.

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Above comment is why i don't use windows on my main machine. I like to know what the hell is going on in my box. Call me a controll freak, however, i can't get enough info out of my win box. Linux on the other hand tells me EVERYTHING.

enough of that rant.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice