What other name does COM port go under in the BIOS?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rodeognome

I am trying to get a PCI modem to work...it is recognized by the device manager but
not by the modem diagnostic tool.

I think the COM port is disabled...I checked the BIOS but cannot find any reference to the term COM port

Does "com port" go under a different name?

I think you might need to adjust the TCP/IP settings rather than look in your BIOS. If PCI is enabled, there shouldn't be any other BIOS settings that would prevent a modem from communicating.

If you can see it in the device manager, look at the settings for it and see if anything is incorrect there.

Just look under the heading Modems, click it to open. Is your modem listed and supposedly working?

In the device properties, see that TCP/IP is installed.

If you have a dial up service, you'll likely need it's settings to plug in there.

A PCI modem uses a "virtual" software created COM port, it will not exist in the BIOS.

The driver for the modem creates the port.

rodeognome

modem is listed in device manager and is supposedly working but its not what
could the problem be?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online