1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What part of my computer should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pertsa, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pertsa

pertsa Thread Starter

I think my computer's getting more and more outdated when it comes to gaming. 60 FPS with good graphics settings is getting more and more rare these days. I don't really know that much about computers myself, my dad has upgraded it a few times though.

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 705e Processor (3 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
    Memory: 6142MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium 64bit

I guess 6 GB of RAM is just about as much as you'd need but my question would be should I next upgrade my processor or graphics card? Probably both might be the correct answer but if I had to choose one or another which would it be? At the end of the day which one of them has a bigger effect on gaming? In a rough comparison are they both in the same "league" when it comes to their performance or is one or the other holding back another? I'm sorry, I don't know that much about computers in general and this might just be a very stupid question but can you give me just a little hint? Sorry for my English as well.

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there, Do you think you could find out what make and model motherboard you have. That way I can see what CPU's you can put in your computer. The "e" model CPU's that AMD do are often overpriced and not as fast as they could be so that seems an odd choice of CPU.

Jack-O-Bytes

3. pertsa

pertsa Thread Starter

Yes, sorry for the delay. It's ASUSTek, M3N78-EM.

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there, That motherboard can support CPU's that are much faster than the one you currently have. I am not sure about the performance of the graphics card though so I cannot really advise on that.

The CPU you have at the moment is bench marked at about 2278 points
    you can fit the Phenom II x4 965 into that motherboard and raise that to 4265 points if you wanted to.
    you would most likely need to do a BIOS update first though to make the motherboard accept that CPU.

Jack-O-Bytes

5. pertsa

pertsa Thread Starter

Hey, thanks man! That helps a lot! When I was thinking about the CPU-upgrade I wasn't even sure what I can fit in there. So I could basically have a quad core CPU in there. What do you use for those benchmarks results by the way? They sound very useful

Does anyone happen to have any info on my graphics card's performance?

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

No problem. I got the benchmarks from cpubenchmark.net It is a great site. Some of the results may be slightly out but they are compiled from hundreds of people using the benchmark software that they have released so I think they are quite good.

Jack-O-Bytes

7. flyer0101

flyer0101

First Name:
    Dylan
    The 5700 Series isn't bad. I've never gone with ATI myself but I've only ever had one good PC. do u have exact Graphics card. If its above the 5750 it will be fine. If you intend on gaming do you have thew Model of the RAM?

8. pertsa

pertsa Thread Starter

Yeah, it's 5770 actually. The model of the RAM? It says DDR2, is that what you mean? Edit: Yeah that isn't the model I think but I've heard as much as 6gb of RAM should do just fine for years to come, I might be wrong but I don't think I will be upgrading it. Thanks a lot for answering.

9. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Before you spend the money, you should do some performance monitoring to figure out if your processor is being maxed out.

No point in changing the part if it isn't the bottleneck.

Look into the performance monitor, which comes with Vista (I think...it DOES come with Win7 Pro)

10. pertsa

pertsa Thread Starter

Alright thanks, I checked that out. Playing Black Ops the CPU usage is 99 percent and my RAM only about half.

11. pertsa

pertsa Thread Starter

I think a CPU upgrade might be the best option?

12. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

If your CPU is hitting 99% and staying there, then yes you could certainly stand a CPU upgrade.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice