1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What PC for gaming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by vullandra, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vullandra

vullandra Thread Starter

Hello!

I will be buying a new PC and will be playing WoW or EQ2. Maybe even Vanguard. When it comes to hardware, I'm not very knowlageable. I have two choices and would like your opinion on which one to get.

HP:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E6700 (2.66GHz)
    Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE, TV-Out, DVI, VGA
    Ram: 4GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (4x1024)

Dell:
    2. AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 5600+
    Video Card: 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro
    Ram: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 4DIMMs

Please note that I only play MMO's and not games like Doom. Also, I can only afford to pay about $1900.00 USD for my new PC. That is why I only listed the two PC's above.

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. twizzie

twizzie

As you asked for opinions:

I would prefer to go with the first one, both are excellent choices, and its very hard to chose. The first one, Core 2 Duo E6700, is one of the top-end products, the video card is exceptional, and the Ram runs at a good fast speed

Oh wait, what are MMO's?

3. titanania

titanania

If you are willing to spend that much I would suggest building your own system. I'm not sparking another debate, but since AMD has switched to 65 nm processing, they are becoming competitive. And for a system with much RAM, a 256 video cord would throttle it capabilities I would suggest Crossfire or SLi configuration.

4. twizzie

twizzie

yea, I was going to say that myself, but I didn't want to get you off track

For example: On a dell the Ram's can get up to 600 bucks for 4gb, from newegg, its around 405 bucks.

And your video card, you would save so much on your RAM, I would suggest a 512 MB video card.

And as for your CPU, Core 2 Duo is an excellent choice for games, and I'm pretty sure you can save up to $150 on that., and also you budget as you mentioned it was 1900, you can lower it to 1500 if you choose the right parts!

5. vullandra

vullandra Thread Starter

Thank you for your opinions.

I was thinking about building my own PC but I don't understand all the stats on mother boards.

6. twizzie

twizzie

no problemo amigo(a). We aren't here to just sit around, just specify whatyour exactly confused with, hey, if I get the chance I'll find some cool parts for you, that'll bes suit you're likings! Just let me know what you are confused about with the motherboard.

Thanks,
    Twizzie

7. flippermorg

flippermorg

me to i think your better of custom made that is what i always do and it comes out much cheaper

8. Senryi

Senryi

Even though making a custom PC is cheaper than buying one already put together the parts can still add up for a hefty sum. To keep things simple (and not very expensive) I would go with a AGP motherboard, I know its not the latest thing but its on the cheap side and the graphics cards on there are almost as good as the PCIe ones.

I heard EQ2 had some frame-rate issues, so to combat that you will need three things: at least 1GB RAM (2 or more GB would be better), a processor with some speed on it about 2.5 ghz or so. You don't have to go much higher than that. And make sure you mother board is compatible with your processor.

The motherboards can have different slot types so make sure you get one that has the same slot. Also if you want a dual core CPU make sure the motherboard is compatible, the motherboard specs should say some thing about it.

Now, keep in mind I stated that we are getting a AGP type motherboard, so you have to get an AGP video card. And ATI X1950 would do nicely.

Thats all i can think of in terms of motherboards/RAM/video cards/CPU at this moment. Hope this helps

9. RT

RT

Senryi, I have an opinion on that, no offending intended...
    IMHO, vullandra,Ditch the AGP.
    Mainstream PCI Express cards are actually more affordable than the equivalent AGP version.
    I think the only reason that there are AGP cards being offered now is that there so many of us with boards that only support AGP ( me included :eek: )...for the moment.

But really, I think there won't be many more AGP offerings as video card technology advances, with DX10 here we will all have to look to the future and perhaps do a bit of gambling.
    I think it reasonable to say that you'll be lucky to see an AGP card that supports DX10, and if so it will be a bit more costly than any equivalent PCIe card.

The games will catch up later, sort of a unique time for Windows and gaming... :rolleyes:

10. vullandra

vullandra Thread Starter

You have all been very helpful, thank you. I have deceided to build my own PC.

11. Compiler

Compiler

Yep... both those DELL and HPs were crappy for gaming.. especailly for that $1900 price. 4GB RAM?? Is that really a requirement?

Here is a quick rundown - go to www.newegg.com
    Get the following:

1 - $200~250 Intel Core2Duo CPU 6300/6400 (then overclock a little bit)
    2 - $140 ASUS mobo with 650 chipset
    3 - $140 Antec nine hundered (type in "antec 900" newegg will find it)
    4 - $70 Antec NeoPower 430watt PSU (modular power supply)
    5 - $250 (2) Gb DDR2-800mhz (confirm type to mobo)
    6 - $160 400gb HD by Seagate or Western Digital + Pioneer DVD burner
    7 - $150 GeForce 7600GT
    8 - $110 WindowsXP MCE with coupon for Vista. Install vista later when its stable.
    =====================
    $1220

Its not the MOST powerful gaming system, but it'll be pretty nice. Since youre not playing TOP-END graphics - the 7600GT will do fine... otherwise drop $400 instead for the 8800GTS.

Or you can buy an HP out of the store for about for about $700 with 2GB RAM (AMD64 x2) and add the 7600GT = $900.

You sure you need 4GB RAM?

12. flippermorg

flippermorg

ay take the first custome made on its a way better deal for the quality u get

13. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

as you can see in my signature, i built a PC this winter for just about 700 bux, and thats everything you see down there including a clear side panel case and a power supply. I run Battlefield 2 at all highs and 1280x1024 flawlessly averaging 70 fps. I would hightly recommend the 7600GT, it has by far one of the best price/performance ratio!

14. twizzie

twizzie

cool parts MahaGamer. Remember that (to the best of my knowledge) Core 2 Duo has 2 cores. Something like Pentium 4 hyper threading has 2 main operating units working flawlessly together. Last time I checked, not even the latest games are having the capability to use two cores together. However, its good for some games (ex. flight simulator ~ you can even use your Core 2 Extreme to its full potential on that!) But don't take any offense, Core 2 Duo outperforms Pentium 4 the daylights out! http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=433&model2=461&chart=167
    Take a look at the chart, see the difference?

15. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

from what i know, i don't think any games can support the 2 cores. windows has not taken full advantage of the dual core yet. in the near future i'm hoping they will!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice