1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What PC for gaming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by vullandra, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. titanania

titanania

Olbivion will support dual cores (that is if you can get it to work for long enough :p)

I would recommend Corsair RAM, it has a high performance at a low cost.

On the ATi/NVidia issue, the two manufacturers make similar cards, the major reason NVidia has more supporters is because ATi is known for having bad drivers. However, they have been working on that (AMD been whipping into shape :D) So you cant go wrong either way.

2. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

A few games like Oblivion do take advantage of dual cores to a small degree but in the very near future that will all change. Supreme Commander is due out very soon and it was designed to take advantage of dual cores.

3. twizzie

twizzie

My quote is true! By the way does anyone know if they are coming out with any 64-bit games. I'm the typical entuisast that us using Professional X64 Edition, and has aboslutly no idea how to use it. I do make frequent flights from New York to Eygpt, Paris, Japan, and off course the lovely India on Flight Simulator X Deluxe Edition. This uses a good amount of RAM, and overall power. Any other games?

4. Compiler

Compiler

Games are already making use of DC (Dual Core) chips, while not being programed to do so... for example - other background tasks not hogging up CPU time....

Now... Multi-threaded games is when the game is actively using 2 or more cores - that when magic will happen. There are games coming out this year that WILL do that... WILL require a multi-core CPU.
    Core 1 = Main game engine
    Core 2 = Physics (hence, physics card is no needed)
    Core 3 = AI
    Core 4 = Sound / IO / Networking / OS

5. twizzie

twizzie

what about games using 64-bit power?

6. Compiler

Compiler

As of today, no games are requiring or using 64bit power. 64bit doesn't make the CPU that much faster (AMD64 is a true 64bit CPU, the PD & C2D are using memory emulation) - just the ability to handle more data and memory access.

Games are usually running slower on 64bit Windows. 64bit Linux is a different thing.

7. tech.dude

tech.dude

Vullandra, in my spare time a while ago I decided to price out the best, top-of-the-line pc I could with parts from TigerDirect.ca. The total came out to aruond $2200 CAD (canadian), which is only around $1850 USD, so as for your $1900 USD bugdet goes, it's more than enough.

Now I understand that you want a gaming pc, but no fancy computer is neccessary. Both computers you have listed in your first post there are more than capable of handling almost any game. Like my computer, for instance. It was around $600 from Dell a year ago, but with a simple $80 video card upgrade, I am now able to play not only World of Warcraft, but also Counter Strike: Source, Doom 3, and Need for Speed Carbon.

Now I assume you live in the U.S. because your budget is in USD, so your best bet is to buy from TigerDirect.com.

Here is a list of what you will need and why (just to un-confuse you about all these parts and specs):
    1) For starters, you will need a processor. I would recommend a dual-core processor, only because it will give your computer all that extra speed and capability. A good processor to go with would be the Amd Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Processor. This processor also comes with a free copy of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas. Don't forget to buy a processor fan.

2) Now you need a motherboard for your processor. You will need a socket AM2 motherboard because that is what type the processor is. I would go with an ASUS motherboard since they are a reliable company. Now you would also need a Pci-Express slot since all new video cards use that slot type. Here is that ASUS Motherboard.

3) Now you will need some RAM. I would recommend atleast 2gb worth of memory, but since your motherboard can handle 4gb, you can get an extra 2gb if you want. Here is a pair of dual-channel RAM. Dual-channel meaning that both RAM cards work together to give you that 2gb. The pair will need to go in the same-coloured slots on the motherboard. Here are the OCZ RAM Cards.

4) I would recommend that you get atleast a 300gb hard drive. Since the 500gb hard drives aren't that expensive, I would get one of those. Here is the link.

5) I would recommend you get a Dvd±Rw drive so you have the ability to burn dvds. Those are not that expensive. They are around $40. Here is an NEC Dvd±Rw Drive.

6) As for the video card, a 256mb would be more than enough to handle your games, but I would go for the 640mb, only because it can handle DirectX10, which will be used in future games. Here is a PNY video card.

7) Last, but not least, you will need a case. Browse here and pick out a case you will like. It has to be an ATX case to fit that motherboard inside of it. If the case includes a power supply that is 600W or more, then you are all set. If not, then here is a power supply.

It's up to you if you decide to buy that extra Ram or which case you need to buy, but with all the parts above (not including case), the computer parts should run you around $1250 american plus extra for shipping (and tax where applicable).

I forgot to mention that you will also need a copy of Windows Vista (only Vista handles DirectX 10 that the video card has) if you do not already have one. You may also wish to purchase additional software, so I did not include anything specific in this post. But as for Vista, I would get Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate. Vista Basic has barely any features and unless you run a business, Vista Business is not worth the extra money. Vista Ultimate has all the features, incase you want to pay a little extra.

8. twizzie

twizzie

Yea, guys, I don't know even if he looks at this thread anymore. Me and him got tegether and chose excellent parts for his computer. He's about to order. I'll tell him to suggest TigerDirect.

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, good old tiger direct. The only online vendor I have ever had issues with but maybe that is just my luck.

If luck were dynamite I couldn't blow my nose. ;) I have been lucky computer wise though other than being double charged and single shipped from tiger direct. That one took months to get straight. I actually had to get my bank involved to prove the double billing.

I think it was a mistake, but they will not get the chance to make another mistake with me.

10. tech.dude

tech.dude

I have ordered from TigerDirect several times and have had no problems whatsoever. Possibly because I live in Canada and use TigerDirect.ca. The warehouse for that site is in Markham, Ontario, so it's completely separate from TigerDirect.com.

11. vullandra

vullandra Thread Starter

After some extensive research and chatting with twizzie, I picked components to build my PC. Let me me know what you think.

As for the Vid card, I know it's a cheep one, but all I will be playing will be games like EQII, WoW, or even Vangurad. Thanks in advace for you help.

Tower:
    XCLIO A380BK Fully Black High Gloss Finish SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811103010

CPU:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6700 - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819115002

Mobo:
    ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813131153

RAM:
    CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820145590

PSU:
    Antec NeoHE 500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817103940

HDD:
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822144701

Media Drive:
    LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM write and LightScribe Technology Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model LH-20A1H-185 - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16827106055

Video Card:
    BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814143049

Monitor:
    SAMSUNG 941BW Black 19" 4 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16824001088

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP2b w/Upgrade Coupon for Vista - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16832116171

Grand Total = $1,766.91USD (including shipping).

My mobo comes with a FX sound card, that is why I did not include one.

12. tech.dude

tech.dude

Good selections. And that video card isn't cheap, it can still play nearly every game out there. No game (not to my knowledge) has a requirement of a video card greater than 128mb, so you'll be just fine.

13. Drew7997

Drew7997

Yo vullandra- I Bought the HD the CPU and the ram- All work Flawlesly, I got all these things about 1 week after Intel released the new CPU(before the commercials were out) WOW does it fly!!! don't blink, you'll miss the shutdown- seriously! As for the monitor- I went with the 940 I think Maybe it's teh 920(It's my parents computer now) It's 20.1 inches and DEEP Blacks, I won't buy anything other than Samsung now, it convinced me. HUGE difference than my true black Dell Laptop screen. The Samsung was way better- I'd say DIFFaniantly to the cpu,PS, HD, Monitor, I don't know about the other stuff. I only spent 1500 for everything but the case and 1 cd drive. The Samsung was 400 of that price as well. plus I got a different heatsink. and some extra case fans.

14. vullandra

vullandra Thread Starter

What mobo are you using? I'm having a hard time picking one due to the fact they all have lot's of negative feedback. This is be my first build so I don't want something that I will have lot's of issues with.

15. twizzie

twizzie

Didn't I tell you to change your power source?? The power connecter for the mobo is 24pin, the psu has 20+4pin, watch out! Oh by the way you're a retired veteran?? Respect to you, if your a veteran, and respect to you even if you aren't.

Quote from Drew7997
    "I Bought the HD the CPU and the ram- All work Flawlesly..."

This means I'm not a mess-up and telling you that the parts won't work!

by the way, before buying remember to check TigerDirect.Com and compare prices, it's worth if if it saves you a couple hundred bucks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice