1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What PC for gaming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by vullandra, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vullandra

vullandra Thread Starter

I found it odd that there were barely any 24 pin PSU's out there. So, I did some more reading and I found that the 20+4pin work as well.

2. twizzie

twizzie

Oh, interesting, I guess the friggin power source I had was just waiting to be thrown out the window!! Sorry about the false information

3. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

THERE IS NOTHING CHEAP ABOUT A 7600GT!!!!! except the price of course. That is a flippin good card. I can play FEAR, BF2, GRAW, COD2, CSS, DOD, ALL AT MAX SETTINGS at 1280x1024 and some game 2x or 4x FSAA. Mine is the EVGA OC version, which is slightly overclocked. you will be very with your 7600 GT, it has the best performance/price ratio out ther i think.... :)

4. Compiler

Compiler

I can play UT2004, FEAR, Quake4 and PREY in 1600x1200 on my 7600GT with very good frame-rates... pretty much MAX details... on my very slow AMD64-3000!

But I know that UT2007 (now UT3) and Crysis will murder my card.

5. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

you will be able to run crysis in direct x 9 mode... think about it. when i had my fx5500 i could play direct x 9 games like CS, DOD and such, but in direct x 8 mode... so crysis is a DX10 game yes but you will not need a DX10 card to play it at all.

6. titanania

titanania

ASUS is a good motherboard, you shouldn't have any issues out of it.

Sweet case ! :D

Like all the selections you made, cepts I would have gone AMD, buts just cause I'm a die hard fan.

As to PSUs, I use a 20+4 pin PSU with absolutely no problems.

But one thing, if you really are into gaming don't upgrade to Vista just yet. Yes yes I know DX10 and the whole bit, but Vista right now has enough bugs to make several insect collections. If you plan to upgrade to Vista wait a while before doing so. I like my XP better anyways. And if u want Vista for looks, don't switch, just use WindowsBlinds.

7. Compiler

Compiler

I am aware that FarCry will work on WindowsXP. I said it would murder the card( for performance.) - not work because its DX9.

Now, M$ is playing games with people by release future games ONLY for vista... such as Halo2 and that Dark-man whatever his name is game.... Just so they want to make people buy vista.

8. titanania

titanania

M$ said the same thing about XP if recall :rolleyes:

9. Drew7997

Drew7997

What does that mean exactly Twizzie?

V!!!-All I know is that because at the time of purchase there was only about 9 Mobo's out, so I went Intel. nothing overheats, everything is runnin real smooth. I was happy with the purchases.

10. vullandra

vullandra Thread Starter

Well, thank you all for your help. Within the past week, I've learned a lot.

I went ahead and ordered my stuff today... I went with the ASUS P5B-E mobo and had a last minute change on the vid card. From what I've read, Vanguard is a very "power-hungry" game.

This is the card I got:

EVGA 512-P2-N635-AR Geforce 7950GT KO 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814130061

11. RT

RT

Good video card choice (y)

you probably got a good price/performance balance there

12. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

ahhh the 7950 GT... i was considering this card, but when i added everything up together, with that card the whole PC was 150 dollars over my budgett (back in november). So i had to cut the 300$ card (at the time) in half, and found the excellent deal on the 7600GT. I'm assuming that the 7950GT is very powerful, seeing how good my 7600GT is!! Either way i'm sure you'll be satasfied, i get the great performance i do and i could still put another 2 gigs of ram in my PC and i could get any video card i want for the next few years, until they come out with a new bus... like AGP Extreme or PCI-E x32 or something like that.

13. twizzie

twizzie

windowsblinds?

14. flippermorg

flippermorg

nice chose

15. catastrophee

catastrophee

I WOULD SAY ALIENWARE, HANDS DOWN. Im using a mix mobo now, pci ie 4x/agp8x still awaiting for my ge4200 to give out, but Im playing games that are older now so there is no strain on the card at all! Its goin good now 4 years now NVIDIA, gots my investments.

Its meant to be that way. It just is.

But if you wanna be practical about tings, do it yourself. I remember back in the year of 02 where I built my first computer, and seeked lots of advice on here. Thanksevery1!!!

I have learned much, I cant believe some of the posts I see on here, esp the stickys! LOL

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice