1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What PC should I buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 87James, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 87James

87James Thread Starter

Hello everyone I am out of the loop with the latest technology but I'm starting my first work from home job and I need a PC within two weeks with about a $400.00 budget I seen a refurbished on Wal-Mart Refurbished HP 6000 SFF Desktop PC with Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor, 8GB Memory, 22" LCD Monitor, 2TB Hard Drive and Windows 10 Home for 235 dollars is that good or can I get something better (need 20 inch monitor the least) any suggestions are helpful

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I've been buying nothing but refurbished PC's since 2011, so I won't discourage you from going that route.

What I will discourage you from doing is buying one which has a very outdated processor(Intel Core 2 Duo) and which has a very small case(Small Form Factor).

You should select one which has an Intel Core i3 or i5 processor and a larger minitower case.

I'm partial to the Dell OptiPlex models and haven't bought an HP model since 2008.

You should be able to find one within your $400.00 budget which comes with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

The www.newegg.com site is where I buy most of mine.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. 87James

87James Thread Starter

and which has a very small case(Small Form Factor) do you mean the size of the computer itself why? Because of heat I'd assume?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Unless you have a space issue in your home, you should buy a minitower/tower case, depending on which brand/model PC you select.

Besides the larger case having more space inside for ventilation and for adding or removing hardware, it usually has a higher wattage power supply.

Either of THESE Dell OptiPlex 9020 minitowers should do fine for you.

I personally own 3 of them. (y)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  5. 87James

87James Thread Starter

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Capture.JPG

That HP all-in-one has a pretty decent processor and 16 GB of RAM and a 1 TB(931 GB actual capacity) hard drive.

As long as it doesn't turn out to be a lemon, it looks like a good deal. (y)

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice