1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What PC Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AliMadari, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AliMadari

AliMadari Thread Starter

I'm looking for a desktop that is good for running games like World of Warcraft and possibly Skyrim. For World of Warcraft, I want it to be able to run on high resolution with high textures.

I want a PC that runs fast, has a good graphics card, and isn't outdated.

Should I go for dual core or quad core?

Also, I'm looking for one under $1000.

I am looking to buy the following:
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=340188e4423b6ab707510a3cf83ccc28en02

Is that good? What are your recommendations?

Thanks a lot in advance!

P.S. I do NOT want to build a computer.

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    That looks like it should suit your needs as long as you have a good broadband connection....(y)

3. IntensiveBytes

IntensiveBytes

Don't know about Skyrim, but the graphics card is not really a gaming one.
    You should really build one or get the shop to build it for you..
    but all that is gone since you don't wanna build one..
    for like $450 bucks you can get a good one.
    $1000 bucks you can get a really decent gaming computer,
    but if you don't wanna build one it's your loss xD

4. hazybud1

hazybud1

i was just gona say doesnt that GPU say its only a 512 mb ddr3? thats doesnt seem good enough for either game you are trying to play.

i have a radeon hd 5670 but its a 1GB ddr5

also best buy is pretty expensive you should look for a gaming PC from a well known website you could get something nice for 800 bucks

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not only is the graphics card next to useless for any real gaming, the power supply will not be adequate to power a gaming class graphics; you need to look a proper gaming computer as this isn't one.

6. AliMadari

AliMadari Thread Starter

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That one seems much better, better CPU, better graphics card(mid range card), higher wattage power supply but of unknown manufacturer but I'd expect it should be at least of mid quality.

8. AliMadari

AliMadari Thread Starter

Thanks, but I've found yet another computer by a more known manufacturer, DELL. :)

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore...7297&ecomm=ecomm.dell.com&c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1

This looks like a good computer, but there are 2 things I can't seem to find anywhere.

1. Is it dual core or quad core?
    2. What is the power supply?

If anyone at all can get me this information, I would be extremely grateful and will then be able to make an informed decision. Thanks in advance!

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your link doesn't work, is it a link to page that you logged into?

You have to be careful with Dell's, they are not always very upgradable and the low end Dells are junk. You have to make sure its a gaming model, such as one from their Alienware brand.

10. AliMadari

AliMadari Thread Starter

Sorry, here's a better link:
    http://www.dell.com/ca/p/xps-8300/fs

It's the $649.99 one (furthest left), which is the same as the $799.99 without the monitor.

Also, with the default hardware they have set up for it (so no customization, just the specifications listed underneath the furthest left computer on the page linked).

It's one of their "High Performance" desktops, so its the tier right underneath the Alienware.

Still can't seem to find the power supply or cores.

EDIT: I'm not looking for something as high end as Alienware because the most I'll be playing on this is probably World of Warcraft and games with similar system req's.

EDIT #2: The hard drive (500 gb) did seem a little low, but I've got a 1TB external already so that's plenty of space, and hard drive speed isn't really a problem for me, as long as its reasonably fast.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The base computer comes with a Radeon HD 6450 which is not considered a gaming card, however WoW isn't very demanding but maybe some other of the games are.

The Intel i5's listed there are 4 core processor, you can look up the detailed specs on the Intel site: http://ark.intel.com/products/53446

Dell rarely posts the PSU specs in the marketing info, I can't even find it their manuals for this unit. But a Google search reveals its a 460 watt PSU.

Absolutely nothing high performance about that computer other then the usual Dell marketing, definitely not a true gaming computer.

12. AliMadari

AliMadari Thread Starter

I can upgrade the graphics card through customization, and by upgrading to an AMD Radeon HD 6670, I pay an extra $50.
    What do you think about that?

Sure, its not as good as the previous PC's I mentioned, but this one does have the advantage of a lower price tag, and this is built from a more reliable and well known manufacturer.

I know I'm being really picky, but the fact is that I don't want to be paying extra if I'm playing games that don't require that high end systems at all.

Also, thanks a ton for all the help you've been providing, when it comes to in depth hardware I'm pretty much next to useless, and you're really making this a lot easier for me, so thanks a lot! :)

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    On second thought, stick with the Radeon HD 6450 for now. If you need to you can upgrade to a Radeon HD 6770 for a much cheaper price than what Dell is trying to sell it to you for. WoW should run just fine on that with all the eye candy, double check the requirements for any other games.

Keep in mind that they get to keep the Radeon HD 6450($40 retail) but they still charge you $150 for the Radeon HD 6770 while you can buy the it outright for $109(or $89.99 after rebate): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cription=6770&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

14. AliMadari

AliMadari Thread Starter

Okay, I'll order it some time this week.

Thanks a lot for all the help, I would have probably ended up with a not so good deal if you didn't assist me. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice