1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Processor can I upgrade to?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by usatransporter, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. usatransporter

usatransporter Thread Starter

I have an older Lenovo computer with a G31T-LM2 motherboard and an E5200 processor. I see that Intel made quad core processors up to the Q9400 running at 2.66 GHz and a front side bus of 1333 MHz.

All that being said, what is my board actually capable of supporting?

2. black-wolf

black-wolf

Not able to find much info on your mobo, probably ECS built for Lenovo. But any LGA 775 CPU should work. But I don't think you will see much difference if you do change it out.

3. willzero82

willzero82

I had a similar question I'm running a i3 550 on an intel h57 express i was wondering would it be able the to handle the music programs i use like cubase and reason 5 and would an upgrade to a i5 be possible and which would be a better choice

4. black-wolf

black-wolf

willzero82 you need to start your own thread. But i3 550 is socket 1156 and the newer i5's are socket 1155. So you would need a new mobo.

5. usatransporter

usatransporter Thread Starter

Thanks black-wolf. My concern is related to any limits (or not future-proofing) in the BIOS that Lenovo may have put in there. I'm not quite sure how the BIOS and Chipset info in programmed, but my thinking is that they made the motherboard in say 2008 and the last cpu's were made in 2009. Would the last chips then be supported by that BIOS? There is not much informaion available, and speaking directly to Lenovo support was pretty uninformative too.
    Am I wrong in my thinking with the BIOS being a limitation, or is it simply if the chip fits, use it?

6. black-wolf

black-wolf

You are not wrong. Lenovo could have put limitations on it.

7. Mandul

Mandul

This may not be exactly the same model that your motherboard is from but at the bottom of page 3 of http://shop.lenovo.com/ISS_Static/merchandising/US/PDFs/M58_datasheet_FA_3_oct_23.pdf
    Its has the comment * M58p can only support Q9XXX & E8XXX series processors.
    ** Note: SMC model, available in Q1, 2009 in AG and Q2, 2009 worldwide.

So I suppose you would need to know what model your motherboard was originally made for

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!