1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Programs are Running on XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dog Lover, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dog Lover

Dog Lover Thread Starter

I KNOW THAT THIS MAY BE AN OLD TOPIC, BUT HOW CAN I CHECK TO SEE WHAT PROGRAMS ARE RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND.
    WHEN MY OLD PC RUNNING AT 450Mhz DIED,I GOT A DELL RUNNING AT 2.2+ GIG's. INSTEAD OF THE 'BLAZING SPEED' THAT I HOPED FOR,THIS CRITTER SEEMS TO RUN SLOWER THAN THE OLD ONE. XP ISNT ALL I HOPED FOR.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
    Dog Lover

2. Trag

Trag

You can press ctrl-alt-delete to bring up the task manager. If there aren't many programs running there, select the processes tab. You probably won't know what most of them are, so check this site out to find the names. Possible reasons for the slowdown are: Lack of ram, Viruses or spyware. Go to Windows Update to update your computer, then download spybot, update it and run it. Also, get a good virus scanner too. And finally, don't type all in caps, it makes people really annoyed.

Joel

3. WILDFYRE

WILDFYRE

Check out www.blackviper.com for a complete list of start-up programs and information on the ones you can safely disable. (y)

4. rude

rude

Also try Start/Run type msconfig ok. Have a look at the startup tab these are all programs and other things that start up when windows starts up. Strictly speaking,you don't really have to have anything in there.The only things I allow to start on bootup on my machine are my anti virus and firewall.

5. Dog Lover

Dog Lover Thread Starter

THANKS TO "TRAG,RUDE,AND WILDFIRE FOR YOUR HELP'.
    TRAG,I'M TRULY SORRY THAT I HAVE CAUSED YOU ANY DISCOMFORT BY USING CAPITAL LETTERS, BUT THE FACT IS THAT I AM 94 YEARS OLD AND AM HAVING SOME LOSS OF VISION.
    AGAIN, I TRULY APOLOGIZE FOR HAVING ANNOYED YOU.
    SINCERELY;
    GF
    Dog Lover

6. gaftop1

gaftop1

don't apologize. everybody's happy to help. enjoy your computer

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice