1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What programs do you use to keep you OS running as fresh and smoothly as possible?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JeffColeman, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JeffColeman

JeffColeman Banned Thread Starter

I do a lot of web browsing, download a lot of files, play a fair amount of games. I was curious what type of programs you use, whether for cleaning or upkeeping, to keep my computer running at it's fastest. I've heard of registry cleaners, i was curious if these really work, and what other types of programs there are out there to get rid of useless files and hidden crap that can keep a machine from running at full potential. I already use Ad-Aware for any spyware.

Thanks.

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

One of the best things is an uninstaller, which can completely remove all traces of an installed program. One such is Ashampoo Uninstaller Suite.

3. JeffColeman

JeffColeman Banned Thread Starter

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Here is a good list at this forum by one of our own and it is pretty good. If you are going to use any of this type of program I would suggest only running one program at a time to avoid the programs clashing while scanning.

Security Help Tools by Rollin' Rog
    http://forums.techguy.org/security/110854-security-help-tools.html

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

symantec av, xoftspy, spybot 1.4.

6. perpaterson

perpaterson

Hi,

I am working on the same problem and I found this site to be very good. Surfing on the internet today with Internet Explorer and Windows XP results in lots of popup ads, popup programs, virus, worms, trojas, etc and there are many fine freeware program and commercial software out there.

Here you can read about the programs and download them and run them. I run AVG antivirus (free), Windows Defender (free), Ewido anti-spyware (free) and there are more. I have installed new webbrowsers Firefox and Opra (trying them out) and use IE as little as possible to reduce security risc. Things like that.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

Good luck to you,

Per Paterson
    Sweden

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!