1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What program's have to be removed BEFORE using Adaware 5.62?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Gary R, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

I was thinking of getting Adaware 5.62 for the system below, BUT I saw a line on a page reviewing Adaware that said in effect that some programs (no names were specified) have to be deleted BEFORE using Adaware, then reloaded after you finish with it.
    If so, wouldn't that make your system more apt to fail in one way or another ... lost drivers or programs, Registry corruption, & perhaps others?
    Anyone ran into a "Must remove Programs before using" problem with Version 5.62?
    Also -- I thought Adaware made a Registry backup, BUT all i can find is references to backing up programs that may be unuseable without Spyware.

2. hewee

hewee

You sure it did not say disable?

3. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

It definitely said there were prog's which had to be removed.... I've been trying to relocate that page, but no go so far :(
    I've never checked this system for Adaware, but would suppose there is some on it somewhere, but haven't found anything suspicious so far in msconfig > Startup, or with "Find"....
    Looks as if there's more to using it than I'd thought/read :)

4. hewee

hewee

OK I think what it said was that if you run it and find out that you have Spyware that you are to remove the spyware program first from it's own unistall before you use Adaware to clean up after it. You can make a backup in Adaware on what is remove so do so first.

5. kimmer13

kimmer13

Wish I'd have read as carefully as you! I used adaware to remove some spyware, then after rebooting saw there were still remnants around, and tried add/remove programs. It wouldn't work. Hopefully I manually located all the files etc. and got rid of them.

Live and learn (from others when possible!):)

6. hewee

hewee

May I add that you should also run the scan on every thing in the left window. After the unstall of the spyware by the spyware own uninstall and a reboot and then run Adaware to clean up after it and reboot and run it again.

Some spyware may not have a uninstall so you need to post here to ask what to do and then I can't you but there are others here that can help you out.
    The way some spyware is it may be best to post here and tell us what you have first.

Note:
    If you check out what you are going to install first then you will not install any spyware. I always check out anything I get on the web first.

http://66.34.160.192/spywareinfo/index.html

This site has a Spywarechecker search box that you can use to check out software.

7. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice