what provides the greates storage capacity? Raid 0 or Raid 5

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fairnooks

Banned
Raid 0 and Raid 5 are so different from one another I think we should have better descriptives for them.

I don't know, does R-0 allow for more than two drives? If so then its R-0 for sure if all the hard drives are the same size, but I'm leaning toward two drive max even though I have no idea.

If its two drives only for R-0 then its R-5 for sure because even with the redundancy recovery resource data occupying each drive the total still available from 5 drives will be more than 2 striped drives.

tjamnz

as far as i know raid zero (striping) can be multiple disks (two minimum +)... but if one fails you lose all data, where as raid 5 (parity) can use multiple disks as well (three minimum +) but, if one disk fails you can restore.

the real question i think.. remains the same. with 5 disks, which offers the best storage capacity in terms of bytes.

thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts