What PSU and graphics card should I get for my upgrade?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ShafeDogg

I have a Dell XPS 8700, and I'm currently looking to upgrade the graphics card and power supply. I've been having issues with games freezing and I want a better graphics card anyway because the 750 Ti just isn't doing it for me. I know I want to get a GeForce GTX 1060, but I am unsure of which power supply I should get. I don't trust the default Dell PSU. My case is ATX so I'd like to get a smaller PSU if possible so there's no issues with space. I'm unsure of which brand I should get and what wattage/voltages I would need. I'd at least like an 80 Plus Gold rating. Also, which 1060 brand should I get? Should I go with a blower-style card to reduce some heat in the case, or just stick with the regular?

Specs:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 16335 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 1850 GB (1734 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0KWVT8
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Please let me know if you need more information, and thanks to everyone who takes the time to help me with this!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The GeForce GTX 1060 is a much better graphic card than the GeForce GTX 750 Ti, but it also uses 60W more power and it requires a minimum of a 400W power supply.

The Dell XPS 8700 appears to come with a 450W power supply, so I can understand your concern about sticking with it because of the power demands of hard-core gaming.

There are a number of hardware/gaming experts here who can give you recommendations on a replacement power supply, so be patient until one replies.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts