1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What PSU Do I Buy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by millert, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. millert

millert Thread Starter

THIS IS MY COMPUTER
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4861605
    WITH AN ADDED 512 MEMORY STICK

I WOULD LIKE A STARIGHT AWNSER TO WHAT PSU I NEED TO BUY I WANT A 500W SO I COULD POWER A 400W REQUIRED GRAPHICS CARD IF POSSIBLE I WOULD ALSO LIKE A LINK TO IT THE SIMPLER IT IS FOR ME THE BETTER MAYBE ONE FROM CIRCUIT CITY OR COMPUSA PLZ HELP

2. belveder

belveder

I'd probably go for a better PSU as it's one item that you can use through other upgrades if you know what I mean.

I'd highly recommend the Thermaltake Toughpower 750w or the Enermax Galaxy 1000W. Both are very quiet and lots of leads (detachable if you don't need them all)

3. batharoy

batharoy

Just go to Comp USA and tell them you want a 500w power supply from Antec.
    Do not get the Comp USA branded ones.

4. kev1952

kev1952

I take it that you either didn't like or didn't understand the replies you got in the earlier thread (here) about this subject? Ask 10 people what PSU to buy and you will get 12 different answers! :) You have already had a number of different brands suggested - the leg work is now up to you. Just remember that you need to get a GOOD PSU. Don't simply buy one that has supposedly good specs but only costs $40.00 - you will get burnt!

5. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

for that spec computer you do NOT need a Psu over 400w!!!!!! anything over that wont be used and youl habve wasted your money...the only reason for going for a decent PSU is if your running power hungry processes

6. millert

millert Thread Starter

7. kev1952

kev1952

You *could* be right - until he decides to add an extra hard drive or other component(s).:eek: Always better to go considerably higher in spec than is actually needed at a given time. And it will do for a number of future upgrades.

8. millert

millert Thread Starter

ok i am never going to add an extra hard drive just a graphics card that needs 400w power supply

9. kev1952

kev1952

You missed the point entirely. As an example - if you got into your car and wanted to drive 100 miles and you know that your car gives, say, 20mpg. You therefore need 5 gal of fuel to get you the required distance (in theory). But on the day you decided to go a friend decided to come with you. The added weight caused your car to consume fuel at the rate of 19 mpg. All of a sudden you now need 5.26 gal to make the trip. You only have 5 gal so you don't make it.

My point is that you need to make allowances for future additions and components that sometimes required a little extra juice to keep them working properly. When shopping for a PSU get the highest wattage and the best quality that you can afford. You will appreciate it in the long run and so will your computer.

10. millert

millert Thread Starter

oooooooooooooooooh ok

11. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

its upto u what power u want...all all boils down to cost really:)

12. darren_21

darren_21

yup thats what it comes down to... how much money ur willing to throw at it

13. kev1952

kev1952

i'd agree with that up to a point. But if all you can afford is a $50 PSU then you will be just wasting money. There are some things that shouldn't be decided on purely for price - and a PSU is one of them.

14. darren_21

darren_21

Thats what I meant.... that basically you get what you pay for in this type of situation.

15. dez_666

dez_666

Another thing should be mentioned -

Aim for a PSU that is about 25-50% over your needs. Nothing over that.

If you get something too big, you loose efficiency, and in the long run that means you end up spending more money in electrical bills.

I also hear using too little power can either fry or reduce the lifetime of your PSU >_>'

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice