1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what psu would you recommend

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steven1350, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steven1350

steven1350 Thread Starter

I am planning a new build (already bought mobo, cpu, ram, and dvd drive), and I am looking for a nice PSU. I havent decided on a graphics card yet, but its likely that i will get either an 8800gt or an 9800gtx (they ususally want ~300-450W)

Anyways, most PSU's I have seen have around 8 molex cables. I dont need 8 molex cables, I dont even really need one (maybe certain case fans btw). My Hard Drive will be SATA, my DVD drive is SATA, so I dont want to waste space and drown in cables with extra molex's. I am looking for something at 600W (nice and safe, all hardware should be fine with this), and not to many molex connectors.

Suggestions? (Not buying from Newegg, since I dont live in the US)

2. Sponsor

3. accat13

accat13

4. steven1350

seems alright, but it has way to many cables for my liking. It has 10 molex connectors........this will waste a lot of space in my system, since I dont really need any of them...

Other then that, seems pretty good.

**Note: Canada Computer ftw, bought everything other then my CPU from there :D

5. accat13

accat13

The psu is modular you have a very good collection of cables to choose from
    http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9273/hx620w4wh2.jpg
    you don't have to use all the molex cables...My sons pc has no sata drives ,so we didn't use any sata power cables....I also have a enermax liberty 500(modular also) its been a very stable psu my only complaint about it is the way the cables are arranged :)

6. steven1350

my bad, didnt notice that.

So yeah, seems like a quality psu.......Might get this one (since Canada Computers is like a 30-45min walk from my school). The rebate is good till the end of the month, so I will see what graphics card i get, and from there see if I need the 520W or the 620W.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Most newer Antec psu's have detachable extra molex cables so you can use what you need and detach the extras, and they are by far the best quality psu's anyway.

8. steven1350

UPDATE: Purchased the Corsair Modular 620W one
    [​IMG]

thanks for all the help

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700699