What Ram Do I use to upgrade?

SlimSanity

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19043, Installed 20210203045136.000000-480
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics, AMD64 Family 23 Model 24 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics
Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (34 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 8643, ver SMVB, s/n PHZHQ0GCYEI18O
System: AMI, ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n 2MO101506B
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Hi there! I'm really new to personal computers and I want to make sure it runs well for another while, so i've been looking into getting upgrades, right now im looking at getting more ram and a dedicated graphics card(I probably need a an extended hardrive aswell though) But i don't really know where to start

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Based on the motherboard info above, it looks like this may be an HP system. If so, please provide the full model number. Using that, we can determine how much memory your system can handle. Ideally you'd like at least 16GB. We can also learn what type of drive you've got, and whether it can be replaced with a larger one.

The graphics card indicated in the above specs appears to be an integrated chip on a laptop board. If that's the case, and this is a laptop you've got, you are probably out of luck upgrading that. Laptop video pretty much is what it is.

If this is a desktop, HP's power supplies are typically not highly rated, power-wise speaking. Adding a dedicated graphics card would be limited to the very lower end models. And, right now, between chip shortages and bitcoin mining, the better cards are at a serious premium, if you can find them at all.

SlimSanity

Device name xxxx-brick
Processor AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (5.91 GB usable)
Device ID D6693424-6873-45CE-A231-7492DE800C90
Product ID 00325-82029-28042-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen support

System Model HP Desktop M01-F0xxx

I hope this information helps

crjdriver

When I do a search for that model# it shows a 180W pw supply. In short, you are out of luck attempting to install a real video card unless you also install a quality pw supply. I cannot find out if this motherboard uses proprietary connectors or standard atx type connectors.

Just my opinion however attempting to upgrade a hp, dell, etc is pretty much an exercise in futility.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
As far as RAM:

Memory upgrade information

• Dual channel (1 DIMM per channel) memory architecture
  • Two DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports PC4-25600 (DDR4-3200)
  • Supports 4 GB, 8 GB, and 16 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 32 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers
Can you see a Product Number on the case somewhere? It will be something like this: 6YQ85AA#ABA .

SlimSanity

Yeah! It's 6YQ58AA#ABA

and thats a shame on the graphics card. Would I actually need one or is ram a better way to go. I don't really play like triple A games. I moreso just want a small amount more of power

crjdriver

That processor actually has semi-decent video for light gaming. Go with as much ram as you can; that will give you the best bang for the buck. It would appear that you either need a larger system drive OR you need to uninstall/delete some things. Those two things are going to give you the best performance increase.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
More memory would help in most aspects of computing. Especially if you use multiple applications at a time, and/or have many tabs open on a browser. It helps with games, too.

Your storage is a bit limited, too. It has a 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD in it currently. You can replace it with a larger capacity drive, but there would be some work involved. You'd have to get your current drive information over to a replacement drive. I don't know if that motherboard has SATA ports to add another drive.

managed

Allan
You could add a mechanical hard drive to give extra storage space, provided you have a spare Sata power connection from the power supply and a spare Sata data connector on the motherboard.

SlimSanity

You can go to either crucial or corsair and input your exact system. It will show compatible memory. Note you do not have to purchase the memory from them. You can do a search for the memory part# and go with the best price.
Crucial US | DRAM, Solid State Drive (SSD) & Memory Upgrades
The corsair memory finder is currently down.
I'm getting an Error when I try to run a Scan through them
"System scan results
Scan ID: error
We're sorry, this scan is no longer saved in our system."

And when doing a direct search, I have no idea how to find my Product line

SlimSanity

You could add a mechanical hard drive to give extra storage space, provided you have a spare Sata power connection from the power supply and a spare Sata data connector on the motherboard.
I'm not sure if I do, i could Open my PC Up and take some pictures if that would Help

managed

Allan
I'm not sure if I do, i could Open my PC Up and take some pictures if that would Help
Ok, we need to know if the Power Supply Unit (PSU) has a spare connector like the pic. below
Or if it does not please post a pic of any other unused power connectors coming from the PSU as there could be adapters that will work.

The motherboard will need a spare connector like this :-

And you will need a Sata data cable like this (that is long enough to reach from the drive to the motherboard) :-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts