1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What refesh rate should i use for my Viewsonic VA1912w?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by markshim, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markshim

markshim Thread Starter

im just wondering what refesh rate i should be using? i have my monitor on 1440 by 900 and at the moment i have the refesh rate on 85 hertz.
    the problem is my desktop shortcuts flicker every now and then, i loss there picture and then they come back? does this have anything to do with the refesh rate?

2. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

The refresh rate should be set to whatever the monitor default is. The flicker problem on your icons is not a refresh issue, if your refresh was set wrong then your screen would flicker all the time. It's more likley a video card issue or driver problem.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    LCD monitors display best at the native resolution that they're designed for.

LCD monitors also do fine with a refresh rate of 60 Hz or higher, so using a refresh rate of 85 Hz is fine.

This is the Viewsonic site for obtaining drivers and user guides:

http://www.viewsonic.com/support/downloads/

----------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that the problem has to do with your display adapter/video card.

Updating the video driver may solve the problem.

What's the description of your display adapter/video card, and what version of Windows are you using?

------------------------------------------------------------------

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

"LCD monitors and refresh rate

Refresh rate does not apply to LCD (liquid crystal display, now commonly referred to as flat panel) monitors, because they do not render images the same way CRT monitors do. Pixels in LCD monitors remain open or closed as needed until the image changes, and the light that passes through from behind stays constant. Therefore, the pixels don't fade. The rate that affects LCD displays is "response time", the time it takes for a pixel to go from fully open (the brightest intensity) to fully closed (black). Response time is a fixed property, not a configurable setting.

In Windows, Display Properties includes settings for refresh rate, but they are only there for compatibility with the video card, which must be able to handle a CRT that can do multiple rates. An LCD monitor has only one optimal refresh rate setting, so it expects a specific value. Changing this setting for an LCD monitor will affect the image (e.g., it may shift it off center), but will not affect the monitor's actual refresh rate."
    http://kb.iu.edu/data/atui.html

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

RootbeaR has it all correct, but the refresh rate is still employed in that it is the trigger signal to initiate the response function. This is a sort of vestigial, or leftover process from the good old CRT days. Most LCDs operate at 60 hz and this is more than adequate speed to effect the response for most activities.

However, there is some trend toward 120 hz now for both better effect of the response rate for very high frame change events and most recently, for 3D effects which essentially require (to look good) a double "channel" for the sterioscopic effect.

And, I've just heard of the first 240 hz monitors. No idea what they might be used advantageously for.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    60 Hz is the usual default refresh rate for LCD monitors.

I just checked both of my HP 22" LCD monitors, and both are set to 60 Hz.

CRT monitors do better with 75 Hz or 85 Hz. 60 Hz can cause screen flickering.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

7. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Ditto for my HP 20" widescreen.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!