1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What router would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xmorisx, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xmorisx

xmorisx Thread Starter

Currently I have the Fios router. I wanted to buy a strong router something that can extend the signal from the bottom of my room to the other side of second floor into my dads room because he doesn't get wifi there. The current router supposedly goes 30 feet so it is good upstairs but when i bring it downstairs no signal in my dads room so I want to get something that can do more that 30 feet and stronger signal.

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

The range for 802.11g is up to 300 feet. For 802.11n it is up to 1400 feet. It is at least that much for 802.11ac.

Bottom? As on the floor? If so, not good.

4. xmorisx

xmorisx Thread Starter

I meant first floor and my dad is on second floor. I think that 300 feet is if there is no furniture and walls.
    There is walls on the way and even if it is 300 feet my dad should be getting 15mbs not 7mbs because when he is in the room with the router he gets 15mbs.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

Right! :) Furniture, walls and other obstacles will reduce range and bandwidth and can completely block signals.

6. xmorisx

xmorisx Thread Starter

do you recommend anything I can do?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

Experiment. If pole type antenna(s) remember that the strongest signal is perpendicular to the axis and weakest is along the axis. Sometimes a small relocation of the router or computer can make a big difference if an obstacle is avoided that way.

Maybe adding a wireless access point will help--depends mainly on whether you can run an ethernet cable from the router to wherever the access point needs to be.

If the current router is 802.11g maybe 802.11n or 802.11ac would be sufficiently strong.

A Repeater (Range Extender) may help.

Powerline adapters can be excellent (or can be useless or somewhere in between).

Remember that on running an ethernet cable it doesn't have to be a straight line. Sometimes down to the basement or up to the attic then across to the destination and back up or down works.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138843