1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What security setup do you have now?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by lunarlander, Oct 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lunarlander

lunarlander Thread Starter

Hi,

What security setup do you have now? This includes the router/hardware-firewall, antivirus, software-firewall, anti-malware, anti-executable, and other categories like Sandboxie.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

SonicWall TZ400W as my edge router/firewall. SonicWall E6500 for my internal firewall. Cisco ASA5505 as the gatekeeper to gain access to my management network. I don't run any additional security software other than what is built into Windows. But I do run Faronics Deep Freeze on all devices I use routinely to connect to the Internet.

3. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Running Puppy Linux from a Live DVD.
    It has a firewall.
    Using a NAT router.
    Recently supplied with a modem that also has a firewall and a NAT router incorporated in it.
    edit: Running Firefox with NoScript. Adblock Plus, and Ghostery

No longer use any MS Windows operating systems connected to the Internet or any network. I do keep the MSE and MBAM up to date on several stand alone Win 7 systems just in case something that's attached like a flash drive has gotten infected.

4. lunarlander

Just in case you're wondering, posting your security configuration will not get you attacked, if the attacker doesn't know your IP. Then, after obtaining your IP, to breach your network, they would then have to bypass your NAT router or hardware firewall. There is a way to do that, if they have breached an upstream router/switch, but that is rare. And the attacker needs to know where you are heading at that moment.

5. RT

RT

Since getting Windows 10 this year, the Dell came with a trial of McAfee LiveSafe - trial expired, I did not subscribe but it's running (so not updated, I guess.) But still, on the rare occasion, asks me if I really want to visit a website, so I don't.
    McAfee WebAdvisor icon is visible on the top browser bar.

Windows Defender is up to date and active, Windows firewall on.

I run Malwarebytes (free) once a month.

Same with Glary Utilities, more as a clean up and maintenance, but it does have a malware scan.

Cable internet service goes to cable modem, then to an older Belkin router for WiFi (secured, it says) just for access to the Roku, and my family/friends phones, should they need it atm.
    No network to speak of, only one computer user in the house.

Also occasionally visit Steve Gibson's (possibly the most paranoid guy on the web) GRC site and run/installed the free things. That might all be out date stuff now though, some stuff won't work with Win 10.

Firefox, AdBlock Plus (free), and I let Windows Update just do it's thing on auto.
    Dell updates too.

No probs so far.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    For Windows 7 I use the built-in Firewall, Malwarebytes Premium (for real-time Malware protection) and Micro$oft Security Essentials (aka MSE; for real-time Anti-Virus protection.

7. lunarlander

Hi Managed. I thought MalwareBytes is now both an anti-malware and anti-virus now. Should you be running both MBAM and MSE?

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  9. lunarlander

Hi Managed, Thanks for the link.

10. TazDingo

TazDingo

I've been using Eset Smart Security for a while now. So far I'm really happy with it.

11. LordTootsieRoll

LordTootsieRoll

I have a SonicWall TZ 205 router.

For Windows, I run Windows Defender (it's actually really good on the latest builds of 10) and that also handles the firewall. All of the Windows computers are on an Active Directory domain, so I just manage it with Group Policy.

On my Linux servers, I run Sophos for Linux and ufw for the software firewall. Patch management is simply done by adding a cron job at 12:00 AM that does "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade -y". I like to live dangerously. ;) No problems yet!

12. Mr. Newton

Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    Malwarebytes Premium for years now with no problems ever.
    Running Windows 7.
    I also use a NAT router.
    Run a daily scheduled Malwarebytes scan.
    Nothing from Microsoft.
    From my past experience I have the correct protection for my needs.
    It's now a non issue to me and has been that way for years.
    Life is good. :D

13. elevano

elevano

First Name:
    Elevano
    Agree with you.

14. TOGG

TOGG

On Windows 7 I use an Arris router provided by my ISP (Virgin Media), Eset Internet Security and a registered copy of Sandboxie, which allows me to have several programs running sandboxed at the same time.

I occasionally run scans with AdAware and SuperAntispyware free versions but they don't find anything, probably because Eset has anti spyware modules. I also have a little on demand tool called Trojan Remover which I bought very cheaply many years ago at the height of the outbreak of worms and trojans that were crashing Microsoft systems worldwide. It is still being updated regularly and runs a scan of the places malware may lurk at each startup and I also use it to scan downloaded files.

I have no idea if this program is effective (it had an approving mention in an issue of Windows Secrets some time ago though I've never seen any formal tests). However, if it does no harm I may as well keep it.

15. xerses

xerses

Hello everyone, I use BTS+Malwarebytes P.+Heimdal/Thor+Voodoo-Shield Pro.
    For maintance I use WiseCare 365 Pro.
    My router is a New Technicolor with the latest security, so my ISP claims anyway.
    Sorry I forgot: I am running Windows 10 Home 1809.:whistle:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice