1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What security software and software in general to get with new pc..I will tell you

Discussion in 'General Security' started by atnskyline, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atnskyline

atnskyline Banned Thread Starter

Do you want to know what to get with your brand new pc. All my suggestionas are free, and dont contain adware or viruses etc.
    First of all, where to get them, www.download.com
    Trusted because it is part of cnet.com the trusted review website
    Security is a must on a new pc. go to comodo.com when buying the pc dont get any security software, waste of everything, especially mcafee. in my opinion it does nothing. get all the software from comodo.
    firewall pro
    memory firewall
    verification engine
    ivault
    antispam
    secure email
    antivirus
    BOclean-antimalware
    back up
    and registry cleaner
    DONT get avscanner (antivirus scanner) it is useless if you have the firewall and antivirus. The anti virus and BO clean i recommend but isnt necessary if you get the firewall because comodo firewall pro has a great scanner built in.

Next office suite.
    why go with ms(microsoft) office when you can get oppenoffice (openoffice.org) for free, better yet its free and in my opinion better. this program is made by the extremely popular sun microsystems which makes sun java, almost everything on the internet you use because you hace java installed. openoffice has
    base( like the new document part of ms office)
    calc(like excel in ms office)
    draw-(ms powerpoint)
    impress-ms publisher
    writer- ms word
    (basically openoffice.org is the standard edition of ms office w a few extras. all you need for school work. for businnes you need some of the features ms office professional has

Next is an email client
    mozilla. a trusted software maker
    use mozilla firefox for internet, ms ie (microsoft internet explorer) is slower
    use mozilla thunderbird for email. it is like ms outlook express but free and easier to understand.

if you have children or your self with facebook, the popular way to see people on the pc, i recommend the avast home edition firewall- also free, i myself was infected and my pc was doing bad, mcafee didnt find a thing, geek squad hung up on me, firedog said they cant do anything about it, and as a matter of FACT they install the avast free and dont use it, waste of 100$ fix it yourself by running the bootscan in avast.

ccleaner by piriform, also makes defraggler(disk defragmentor) and recuvia(file recover)
    very good software- ccleaner and recuvia(piriform.com)

autlogics.com
    great software
    registry defrag and disk defrag

malwarebye.com
    antimalware free- very good
    rogue remover free( removes fake security software like for ex xp antivirus 2008, cost 100$ and is fake and contains viruses on purpose).
    also these two should speed up you pc

lasty spyware blaster
    javacoolsoftware.com
    you cant scan with it but instead it is like a firewall for spyware. it doesnt need to have to scan because it will keep them out before they get in. it is free but you can pay to activate automatic update- watse of money just remember to update once a week.

OK it is a wrap. these above software are all free, recommended, and use www.download.com to download, if you cant, use the software website.
    after downloading the firewall got to your pc control panel in start menu. click security. click windows firewall, turn it off. bad to have multiple running at once.
    update everything once a week, and run all security software's scan once a month.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. babybritt

babybritt

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

5. atnskyline

babybrit on your pc specs you said you need help. can you tell me what processor you have and the specs on it( how much ghz) it has. thanx also that reg cleaner doesnt look so good, i would try comdo. it owrks the best. what security software are you using? that can slow down your laptop. go to sunbeltsoftware.com. go to home and home office click on the antivirus plus anti spyware and scroll down until you see the bar graph click on it and see if you have any of the software on it.

6. atnskyline

yes dont use programs like that, make sure you can resore. i suggest comodo because you can restore and compact your registry

7. sireveris

sireveris

I use ccleaner and I have a tip for it, DON'T use the registry cleaner that comes with it. It often removes data that might still be in use. That's what happened to my old computer. If you decide to use a registry cleaner use a different one, like Max Registry Cleaner. Other than that, ccleaner is a GREAT program and I would agree with you.

8. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

When you can get Linux for free?
    Then avoid 98% of those apps altogether. Most software is free.
    http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

Plus, you avoid all that time updating and scanning.
    Updates are done in one location and does the OS as well as all installed apps at one time.

Has saved me a minimum of ten hours/month not needing to perform the scans and updates.

I have dual boot with XP which I still use to play games. But it is XP Unplugged Version(no internet access).

9. sireveris

sireveris

I don't understand?

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

11. atnskyline

ok, ccleaner yes its registry cleaner is bad. i uninstalled it cause its a waste of everything except deleting internet cache and stuff. max registry cleaner is actually pretty good but i recommend comodo. also i agree with sireveris, what are you talking about root bear?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice