1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Security Suite???

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by robmd, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robmd

robmd Thread Starter

Evening All!!

For a few years, I have been running Norton Systemworks and Norton Personal Firewall on my computer. Last time I tried to load the newer version (2005) it wouldn't work, even though I cleaned out all I could find of Symantec. Eventually I re-installed the 2003 version, which is due for renewal soon.

I don't like the Mc Afee offering which IMO is too restrictive and resource hungry.

Any ideas as to which Antivirus and Firewall is worth having? I have used AVG in the past, but is it effective in the free version or is the paid version better?
    I also have a trial edition of Panda Platinum 2006 Internet Security.
    I have used the Panda website to check for problems, but what is the workstation edition like?

Any ideas appreciated before I spend some hard earned cash on updating my security programs.

PS I don't require SPAM or Ad Blockers.

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

AVG (Free) and Zone Alarm (Free) are just fine and not bloated like Norton/McAfee

3. reidy100

reidy100

I use Trends PC-Cillin 2005 you pay for it but they are bang up todate and its used by a shedload of businesses in the uk I would personally recommend as i used NAV in the past and had many problems with it . you get good customer contact with Trend too

4. robmd

robmd Thread Starter

Evening reidy100

I know what you mean about customer service (or lack of it!) with Symantec. It was better before Symantec took it over.
    I'll have a look at PC Cillin.

Evening MFDnSC

I have used AVG in the past - I used it from when it first came out (it wasn't free then) until I went on to Norton. I don't know if the paid version is any better than the freebie, which is a good program - I don't know how long it will remain free now that AVG has been sold (can't remember who to).
    I'm not so sure about Zone Alarm. Updates are not regular - does this make it less effective???

Thanks for your comments guys!!!

5. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I recall the advice here at TSG to stay away from suites, 'do it all combos.' Much better to have discrete programs. Below is what I have been using for some time with success.
    {redoak}

ZoneLabs free firewall
    AVG anti-virus
    Ad-Aware SE
    Xoftspy
    Microsoft AntiSpyware
    Spybot S and D
    SpywareGuard
    SpywareBlaster
    EWIDO- extended trial version
    CWShredder
    Bazooka

Note: ‘Xoftspy’ was once considered a ‘rouge’ but recently has been given a ‘clean bill of health.’

6. robmd

robmd Thread Starter

Evening redoak!

Discrete progs seem the way to go, I already run most of the ones you list, with the exception of Bazooka and Xoftspy. Ewido I have run, but don't have it resident on my system.
    I think I will probably go for Zone Alarm and AVG. Isn't there another freebie Firewall? I recall seeing one discussed a while back, and most people were impressed with it.

Thanks for you replies guys, it helps to have a few independent comments on these issues.

7. redoak

robmd: I believe the other good, free firewall is "Sygate." I signed up for "Xoftspy" long before I began visiting TSG. I would not pay for it now, but use it since I have it. Occasionally it does pick up malware that others do not. Could be a 'false positive,' but I don't delete unless I am sure the item is not important to my system.
    {redoak}

8. robmd

robmd Thread Starter

Evening redoak!

Thanks for that, I'll go and have a look at it. I know Zone Alarm is well regarded, but it is not updated very often and I wonder just how effective it is - a false sense of security can be a dangerous thing!!!

9. redoak

robmd: I am not technically competent, but I suspect that the way a firewall works does not require 'updates' in the sense that they are for anti-virus and anti- spyware programs. Updated "versions" are made available from time to time, however. Further, I know "ZA" is working for me, and it must be for others, since it receives good notices.
    {redoak}

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!