What Should Be Running In The Task Manager?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

arkansasgirl

Under the processes tab, there are several things listed, is this normal? What processes should be there? Are there things I should delete?

what are the processes you have? Can you do a copy/paste or take a screenshot? In the lower left corner of the task manager, it will give you the total number of running processes. Depending on how many you have is whether or not we can say it is normal.

I think XP Pro w/ SP1, I can get down to 16 or 17 running processes. Nothing open, or anything like that. On my work PC, I have about 60 running processes.

arkansasgirl

It will not let me copy/paste, and I do not know how to do a screenshot. It says there are 61 processes running and the only thing I have up is this site and my email account in another window.

arkansasgirl

Yes. I am very careful not to go to websites that I do not know, and I do not open any email that isn't from people I know. We have a computer at work that has viruses so I use it to open things I'm not sure of. My computer has been doing weird things lately though, which is why I was wondering. I will be doing something online and it will all of a sudden say 'program not responding'. When I turn it off there is a box that pops up that used to not be there, so I was worried something was going on.

Grab the latest version of Hijack This, install to a permanent folder, do a scan and save the log file. Open the log file, copy and paste all the info from it here.

arkansasgirl

I have McAfee and I checked it this morning and everything is up to date. Can you give me the steps to stop all but the basic processes? I think I would like to try that.

Sure

Click on Start, then click on Run
In that box, type "msconfig" (no quotes) and hit enter
That will bring up the system configuration utility
Under the first tab, check "Selective Startup". Beneath that, there is an option for load startup items. Uncheck that.
Click on the services tab. At the bottom of the page, beneath the list, there is an option for Hide All Microsoft serivces. Check that. Now uncheck everything in that list.
Click on OK
Your computer will want to reboot, go ahead and do that.
When your computer comes back up, you will get a popup window about the System Configuration utility with a check box in it. Check that box, then press OK.
Now press ctrl+alt+del and bring up the task manager, then check to see how many running processes you have.

arkansasgirl

I have to run an errand, I will do this as soon as I get back. Thanks for all your help....especially for not making me feel like an idiot (although when it comes to computers I am)! Have a great day!

arkansasgirl

I have a question about your instructions. Under the services tab I checked 'Hide All Microsoft Services', there are several McAfee items listed along with five things I don't really recognize. You told me to uncheck everything, but I didn't know if I should uncheck the McAfee items.

Just for the time being do so. It is just as easy to put them back. We want to strip the computer bare so anything that is not normal is known.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online