1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What should be the Preferred DNS Server for a new DNS Server

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by ugn10, Aug 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ugn10

ugn10 Thread Starter

Hi,

Before installing and configuring DNS and AD on Windows Server 2012 R2, I need to understand,

'What should be the Preferred DNS Server for a new DNS Server or for a new forest?'

Scenario 1: Windows Server 2012 R2 is as a Host OS.
    Scenario 2: Windows Server 2012 R2 is as a Guest OS on VMware Workstation.

Please guide me for both scenarios.

I did Google Search and I found three options; either 127.0.0.1 (loopback address) or 8.8.8.8 or IP address assigned to the server. In case of Loopback address, why Loopback address is used as the Preferred DNS Server?

Regards
    InTech

2. srhoades

srhoades

If you are installing AD a domain controller always has to point to itself or another domain controller for resolution. If its the only DNS server then it needs to point to itself.

3. talonzu77

talonzu77

If you are installing a new server with AD in a new forest then DNS will be installed with it configured to point back to itself.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

This might be a new thing with installing Windows Server. It's been a while but I think when I built my AD server on Windows Server 2008 R2, I had to manually specify the DNS server to point back to itself.

5. ugn10

ugn10 Thread Starter

Hi..thank you replying and resolving my doubts.

6. ugn10

ugn10 Thread Starter

Thank you for all who tried to resolve my doubts. Also please guide me in case of Windows Server is installed as a guest OS on VMware Workstation and Network Setting of Window Server is LAN Segment. Also internet access isn't required on Windows Server.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1176826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice