1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Should I Buy to Replace My Laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheProfessor101, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheProfessor101

TheProfessor101 Thread Starter

Good Evening All,

Right now I'm working with the very patient Kevin on alleviating my laptop of some Malware. Once my Dell Latitude D510 is operational, I'm going to pass along to one of my nephews who's off to college soon.

So, with what should I replace it? Here's some of the basics about me and my computing needs:

I'm an English professor at a community college. I'm tenure-track, meaning I teach at least five classes a semester (with 30 students each). I also sit on six different committees. So, I'm juggling a ton of MS Word documents.

I also have to utilize assorted education-based platforms like Blackboard, Banner, Smart Start, etc. So, I'm online all the time.

I'm not a gamer. But I stream a lot of movies. I'd like to get something as portable as a laptop but is replacing a laptop that replaced a desktop. I also require a large screen and keypad (I'm 6'2 and can grow easily sore from hunching over something that's too small).

Don't forget: I am an educator, so I ain't got a whole lot to spend. If I had the money, I'd not be typing this right now--I'd be at the nearest Apple Store, buying their biggest and coolest. But, drats, I can't afford to do that at this time.

I've had only wonderful experiences on this site, and would very much appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thank you!,
    Brian

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Based on all the various uses (ie: applications), screen requirement, and keyboard, I'd say get another laptop. Your only major requirement (for a laptop anyway) is the screen, so concentrate on getting a model with the largest screen in your price range. The specs don't really matter as the new hardware will be much faster than the old Dell.

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If you want a laptop with a 17 inch screen heres some to consider. a lenovo g770 which ill recommend to anyone. the dell precisions, vostros, studios, and inspirons some have 17 inch screens also.i guess im partial to dells and ibm/ lenovos because for the most part they have been well made and trouble free.im sure other brands have 17 inch screens but these are the models im very familiar with.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1078559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice