1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What should I charge to design/administrate someones website?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Grendal, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grendal

Grendal Thread Starter

I'm a senior in high school and my computer teacher says she really believes I've got a talent for designing and administrating a website. She asked what I thought would be a good amount of $ that I would charge a month to create and update a businesses website. I said $400 to $500 and she said she thought maybe about $600 or so.

I just need some suggestions from you guys on what I should charge.

Thanks in advance

2. FordGuy057

FordGuy057

I am beginning to do a little web design too. My busines name is Websight MT, and my website is www.WebSightMT.com. It is obviously not finished, and that is because I also work Full-Time. However, if you click on Pricing (at the bottom), you will see my pricing. I hope that helps you out!

3. Grendal

Grendal Thread Starter

Thanks FordGuy057

4. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

so grendal...
    did you decide on a price? im curious too, im learning html right now, and hope to someday know wenough to start something like that.

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

As a general rule of thumb you charge according to how much experience you have, and services rendered. Anyone can make a nice web page these days. Your prices should reflect what you can offer a customer. How long have you been established, and what is the size of your portfolio. Clients should be able to visit other web sites that you have made, so that they can get a better feel for what you can offer them. Can you also offer them flash (not swish), or better search engine placement by the code that you run. Most people that are just starting out usually don't charge, or charge very minimally so that they can build up a clientele portfolio. When someone is very good that portfolio will build in size very quickly, and then you work off of that. And don't be afraid to learn new things like scripts and other areas like servers, regardless of if you need it now or not. You never know when a client will need you to do something, and if you can offer it, they might choose you instead of someone who is cheaper.
    Knowledge is power ;)

6. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

wow, thanx WC, that was better than an answer with a dollar sign in front of it...

7. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

The single best thing that you can do in web design (if you want to make money) is to become a SEO. I can't stress that enough. Not only will you be able to offer something that your competitors can't, but ALL of your clientele will stick with you like white on rice :D

8. cammi

cammi

what's an SEO?

9. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Search Engine Optimizer ;)

10. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

so what do i need to study up on to be one of those???

11. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

The library has many books on this subject but I wouldn't waist my time reading any of them. Even if they are a year old (most are much older than that) they contain outdated information in them. I will also send you a link for a really good SEO forum. You can poke around and learn a lot of really good stuff from those in the biz. Google just redid the way that they rate sites not to long ago. You need to learn this stuff from someone who has their nose to the grinding wheel, so to speak. The guy who taught me was Dan Thies. He is considered by many to be the best SEO guru in the business. He has several books, all of which were on the New York best sellers chart. He is also helping us open up a new school which will be finished in a few months. I will try to find you the ISBN for his book so you can start to get your feet wet. Your library should also have it but I recommend that you eventually buy it and keep it for reference purposes. He also has a news letter which I will find you a link for.

12. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

thanx wet chicken... it sounds interesting. do you happen to know of a web site that has html tutorials, or just some good info i could study up on? i started learning the html basics from a site called free site templates. but for some reason, the last few tutorials are weird links. (that makes me wonder about how much they really know about html).

13. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

hey Grendal, can i have your computer when you're done with it?
    (heehee, just kidding..)

14. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Sure Kerri Ann let me see what I can find.

I have a lot of links for that and I just have to find where I put them all :p

15. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

If you're interested in HTML might I also suggest CSS and a Server-side language such as ASP or PHP. Plain HTML just doesn't do the trick for most jobs nowadays.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice