What should I do? My laptop pc is password protected

Sabatiosa

Hi! I am unable to get past the password request, which is on a white screen. It happened after I rushed off in the middle of installing Windows 10, through using a Windows 10 Pro installation disk I bought (and have successfully used on other computers before). Now, no matter what key or key combination I press, I still get that same page. It won't let me tell the computer to do anything, since it complains that I haven't typed in the password. Though the company I bought it from through Ebay, said it has no password, and to just hit the "Enter" button. This computer is a Dell Latitude laptop computer, E5400. Pressing any of the Fkeys is useless, as no matter what key I press, I get that same white screen with that same error message. And it won't obey me when I press the "enter" button after seeing that message.

I removed the hard drive later, in hopes it would enable the DVD installation disk to run successfully. But I still got that same error message on the same white page. So then I put the hard drive back in, but it's not yet put in right, as I had a hard time fitting it back in there without it jutting out beyond the edge of the computer. I can try some more later though.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you got a Key code when you purchased this copy then you can always download a copy of Windows from Microsoft and use the key code that you have.

NOTE: The key code can only be used on one machine.

crjdriver

Wipe the hard disk and start over. On a working system, download the media creation tool and make a new win10 install usb. This disk will be more current than what you have now AND you will have to do fewer updates.

Sabatiosa

If you got a Key code when you purchased this copy then you can always download a copy of Windows from Microsoft and use the key code that you have.

NOTE: The key code can only be used on one machine.
Hi! I am not able to logon to the Microsoft site, as they never remember any password I try to set up on there site. I don't have that trouble with any other site, as I've successfully created many passwords on various types of sites in the past with no problem. Maybe someone in Microsoft doesn't like me, I don't know. All I know is I can't do it.

I'd be willing to pay someone to download the copy of Windows from Microsoft, if need be. But I do already have installation disks I've bought from Ebay in the past - and successfully used on other computers in the past. But they won't work on this laptop computer. I've tried to install various types of programs that sounded like they might fix the problem, through USB too, but without luck - they don't even show up on the screen.

It would also be ok with me to install some version of Linux, if nothing else works. But it's hard to see how I'd have any better luck installing Linux as compared to other Windows OP systems.

Sabatiosa

Wipe the hard disk and start over. On a working system, download the media creation tool and make a new win10 install usb. This disk will be more current than what you have now AND you will have to do fewer updates.
Hi! I've tried to wipe the laptop computer clean, using a program I downloaded, called "Drive Wipe" or something like that. I've tried to transfer it to both usb and to a DVD disk. But nothing different from what I already see (that error message) shows up on the screen when I put in any of that kind of media. So they were not able to make any changes to my computer. Maybe I didn't know how to get them work successfully - maybe I left out a step in the creation of the media. All I did was to transfer the downloaded file to usb or to DVD, and then try to run it in that laptop computer. Was that the right way to do it?

Last edited:

crjdriver

No. You need to create the bootable usb and or optical disk. The file is usually in ISO format. Use something like rufus to create the bootable usb. Note rufus gives you the option to create a bootable in legacy OR uefi mode so you need to know which one you are running. Since that appears to be a very old laptop that originally came with xp, it should be legacy.

Note win10 is NOT a supported operating system for that laptop. The latest listed operating system is vista. What this means is there are no drivers, your hardware may or may not work, you may have stability issues, AND the big one it will probably run like a snail.

I would REALLY rethink attempting to install win10 on this laptop. Here is a link to the support page for your laptop;
Support for Latitude E5400 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I removed the hard drive later, in hopes it would enable the DVD installation disk to run successfully. But I still got that same error message on the same white page.
Are you saying that with the HDD removed from the laptop, you still get a request for a password? If that is the case, it is not a Windows password. It is on the laptop itself, set through the BIOS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online