What should I do?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gopunchrocks

Hey, I recently changed computers in my house and i need soem advice concerning my options. I have 2 identical compaq desktops, which parts from the old one can i put into teh new one to make it run better/faster? i was thinking about taking at least the RAM, can anyone explain how i would go about doing this? Also, i have 2 nice NVIDIA graphics cards, putting both in wouldnt do anything would it? In addition, can i connect both hard drives for extra memory? Basically, i just want to know my options. Thanks in adavnce.

If one of them will accept more memory,and has an empty slot, you can take out RAM chips from one and install in the other. Look here for a guide to replacing memory:

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,18024,00.asp

No luck on two video cards . . only one slot on older motherboards.

You can move one hard drive to the other machine . . connect it to the middle IDE connector that the current drive is on . . check the first drive . . if it is jumpered for Cable Select set the second the same . . If it is jumpered as Master, set the second one to Slave.

Have fun . .

first of all read the hardware booklet or any manule that cane with your pc, it should give you a lay out of your motherboard >how much ram> what type>as for as adding another graphic card NO. would not hurt to post your system specs to get better answers.

dustyjay

Jay
Unless the Video cards are PCI cards and not AGP cards you will only be able to use ne in your computer. Looking to get a layout scheme from Compaq is kind a like pulling hens teeth. As stated, a model number would be helpful. But an increase in ram and more storage space are probaby all you are going to gain.

gopunchrocks

the only identification on the case is "deskpro". I hope that helps a bit, i have some stuff to do today but ill post up my specs when i have the chance. Also, my HD on my old computer isnt formated, will i have to do that before I can connect the two or can i format both at once afterwards?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online