1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What should i get, a PS2 or a new pc???

Discussion in 'Games' started by twisted_mind, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twisted_mind

twisted_mind Thread Starter

My p-III 733 machine with 128 mb ram (obviously :eek: ) doesnt play the latest games anymore. So i'm stuck whether to buy a Playstation2 or get a new high-end pc with a 128mb(or possibly 256mb) AGP card, 3.2Ghz proc, 1GB RAM.
    Here in my city, the ps2 goes for about $387 and a brand new pc with high-end hardware would cost me somethin like $910.
    I've never seen a ps2 in real life so i dont know how graphically good these consoles are! What do u guys think i should opt for? The only reason i want a new pc is for playing newer games.....n the reason i'm considering the ps2 is because unlike the pc, i wouldnt have to deal with hardware upgrades in a years time! All i would need to do, is keep buying newer ps2 game cds ( the pirated ones r dirt cheap here... so are the pc ones BTW)
    So, are the current ps2 games graphically better than their pc-counterparts? I found this thread when i did a google search for "ps2 vs pc"
    http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=4559&page=10
    After going through it, it seems games on today's high-end pc's are graphically superior to their ps2 counterparts. How true is that? Do First Person Shooters really lag slowly on the ps2? I love FPS, so is it that the ps2 FPS's play slower than the pc ones? How is the gameplay experience on the ps2?
    Finally is it true that using pirated game cds on the ps2 reduces the life of the lens?
    I have a Sony 25" flat tv which i would be using to play the ps2 games.
    All suggestions and comments would be highly appreciated.
    With Regards,
    Umesh

2. McTimson

McTimson

PC graphics, when using the right components, are much better than any console. Personally, I hate consoles, and I think they're horrible for FPS's, you just can't get the same control on a console that you get with a mouse and keyboard. It depends on what the game is being designed for...some console games are better than their PC counterparts, others are definitely not.

3. flyeater

flyeater

No one here will help you with issues regarding pirated software/games. IMHO any problems you have regarding them you deserve.
    That said game console vs. PC gaming depends on what you want. As McTimson said FPS games are better on the PC as are all multi-player games. I always buy games based on their multi-player virtues. Once you beat a single player game it gets old quick.

4. Solid_Froggy

Solid_Froggy

Get the PC, and we don't deal with pirated crap here so don't mention it...and don't get it! Um, as far as which one you'd get better use and more fun out of I would go for the PC because a) It is more expensive so you are wasily going to get more quality out of that b) Consoles have no educational stuff to it, as a computer can be a job (like getting a job for Microsot) c) You can do a lot more things with computers d) You have support here, at TSG, for all you computer help's e) You can download awesome stuff like Linux and other cool stuff f) You can show your computer off to your friends g) You can play PC games multiplayer without having to buy all this adapter crap for PS2's to play online. Yep that's it.

And as far as shooting games go, PC's have better shooting games, and with a PS2 you wouldn't get any lag unless you were playing online with it :D

5. phatmattrat

phatmattrat

Yup. Get the new PC. Shop around and I bet you'll still be able to get top notch stuff and be able to knock off at least a hundred or so dollars. I got lucky this month and actually won a PS2 from a local contest but even still if I hadn't, I would of never bought one anyway. Console games are WAY too expensive when compared to PC (most of the time) and consoles aren't too expandable really. Once the hardware becomes outdated, you've got to shell out another $300-400 for a new system. Its BS to me when you could just buy a new video card and more RAM on your PC... that will last longer too!

6. twisted_mind

"No one here will help you with issues regarding pirated software/games. IMHO any problems you have regarding them you deserve."

"Get the PC, and we don't deal with pirated crap here so don't mention it"

Guys read my original post once again......i never asked for any help on this thread regarding piracy or pirated software.I mentioned stuff about pirated stuff because i wanted to know whether using pirated ps2 game cds actually reduces the life-span of the lens.There was no need to get so excited just by the mention of the word "pirated".... I posted a neat and simple question and expected a simple answer, not a unneeded hostile hit-back regarding piracy.

Coming back to my question, are ps2 graphics actually inferior compared to pc ?? I do already have a computer which does everything else except gaming for me..... thats the singular reason i'm considering getting a ps2.I guess it'll be a cheaper deal to just get a ps2 and buy games rather than get a brand new pc and realise in 2005 that i need to upgrade the video card and stuff
    :mad:
    Even if i get about 3 yrs through the ps2, it'll be worth the $387... rather than a pc which will definately be outdated in 3 yrs time. But i'm kinda wary about the ps2 graphics and FPS games on the ps2 after reading about it on the net.
    What actually is the prob with FPS on the ps2? Are they less good graphically? Do they slowdown or lag? Or what??
    Thanks to everyone.... "everyone" :) who replied.... every piece of advice will make my decision simpler.
    With Regards,
    Umesh

7. McTimson

McTimson

Yes, I already said that PS2 graphics are inferior to the PC. However, you won't usually get lag, because console games are designed for the console, and are coded just for that platform, just for that hardware....with PC games, they have to take into consideration tons of different hardware, which is why they mess up sometimes.

FPS's on the console are just harder to control, that's all. Think about it - when you have a crosshair, do you think it's easier to aim it with the precision of a mouse, or with a little joystick that you move with your thumb?

8. dude189

dude189

Last I heard PS3 is coming out in 2006, so that's only two years. And with proper upgrades, a PC can last longer than three years. When a gaming PC starts getting outdated, a new video card and some RAM should have it working as good as a brand new one.
    And when you look at the games that come out for PC, the majority seems to be first person shooters, while the PS2 has a broader range of games.
    But...
    You can use a mouse and keyboard with a ps2, right?

9. Solid_Froggy

Solid_Froggy

You cant use a mouse and keyboard with a ps2!

10. twisted_mind

Thanks guys for all the advice!
    I will go for the PS2 for the moment.....instead of getting a pc now..i could wait for about a year and then get a 64-bit processor powered pc which i'm told will need newer motherboards,ram etc. So buying a new pc rite now doesn't make sense.... i might as well wait for a year n get a 64-bit pc which will be much more future-proof than a regular pc i could buy now! ;)
    So ps2 it is..... i just checked out the screenshots of a game called Metal gear solid: Snake Eater.... Those r some graphics :eek: That and GTA4 alone is tempting me enough to get a ps2.
    With Regards,
    Umesh

11. McTimson

McTimson

GTA4 is not out yet. There's GTA3, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is coming out next.

12. dude189

dude189

A usb mouse or a usb keyboard can be used with the PS2, as evidenced by this official playstation site. Notice that in the list of peripherals is included USB Mouse and USB keyboard.

Here is search result from that site:
    Browse Games By: Peripheral Features
    Filters Selected: PlayStation 2 System, USB Keyboard Compatible
    Soldier of Fortune: Gold Edtion
    PlayStation 2 System - Shooter - 1st Person
    Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    PlayStation 2 System - Extreme Sports - Skate

Filters Selected: PlayStation 2 System, Mouse
    Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
    PlayStation 2 System - Action
    Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force

Although, oddly, no results were returned for USB mouse. They must use the old playstation 1 mouse.

13. Akito

Akito

You should SO get a mac - those are amazing with video games.

14. dude189

dude189

15. Akito

Akito

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice