1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved What should I use to secure new SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GreggIllinois, Jan 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GreggIllinois

GreggIllinois Thread Starter

I was reading phixgrrrl's thread about installing a new SSD. (I want to install a new SSD and keep my current SATA hard drive.) Allan gave me this excellent video and that's what the inside of my machine looks like. I bought the bracket Jim suggested for phixgrrrl. https://www.amazon.com/Pasow-Holder...578036156&sprefix=SSD+drive+ad,aps,157&sr=8-3 So I should be able to mount it decently. The only thing I'm doubtulf of is if the screws of the bracket will match up with any holes inside the computer (in the space meant for a 3.5" hard drive).

I could use duct or electrical tape or I found some wires. (see attachment) (My uninformed guess would be that the black wire (the one that just looks like a "U" and is in the bottom left) would be the best of those choices. It is covered with plastic and somewhat bendable. And since so many of the wires already in the computer are plastic coated, it seemed best.

Any suggestions on any of these ideas or something better?

I'm not a purist. I just want to secure it so it doesn't move around. I've heard SSDs (mine is a Crucial MX500 (250GB)) don't get all that hot, so I'm figuring the tape or wire would be okay. But that's just what I heard.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    I bracket that I suggested in that topic has holes on the sides which correspond to any standard 3.5" mounting point (they are located in the same position as they are on an actual 3.5" drive).

The only problem with OEM cases like the one in the video, is that they don't always use normal or standard mounting techniques for hardware. I've worked on numerous Dell models that use special brackets for HDD mounting. It varies by model. All that you can do is try and see.

GreggIllinois likes this.
  3. GreggIllinois

Thanks a lot, Jim. I'm definitely going to try to make it work with the screws, but do you have any suggestions for how to secure the SSD if the screws don't line up. (Like the wires or whatever in my original post.)

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    On another forum I look at daily, one of the posters says he has installed ssds by using velcro tape. He wasn't able to show me a picture of the finished computer (he works on computers for others so it is probably no longer in his shop). Since ssds are fairly lightweight, velcro should work instead of trying to force it into a bracket with the wrong screw holes.
    I mentioned a Dell I owned that didn't have a way to attach something.

5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    I once installed one of those brackets into my old desktop and it did not fit. It was a little bit short on the sides. I tried putting a screw to secure it but the screw holes were different. The only thing I could do was make the hole a little bit bigger by using a drill bit and then secured it with nylon zip ties and that did the trick for me.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I actually attached one to the top of a 5.25" optical drive using duct tape. Not pretty however still working after approx 3yrs.

plodr and GreggIllinois like this.
  7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    As Liz said Velcro tape, one piece on the drive with a separate piece on the case, is a good solution, an SSD isn't heavy enough to break the Velcro bond no matter where you put it.

8. GreggIllinois

Thanks very much, everyone. I can return the brackets so that's no issue, and I've already got duct tape, so I'll use that. I hope I didn't damage the power input (the black plastic part on the wires) on the power cord. It looked like it could slide, so I tried pretty hard to get it to slide and then figured out it wasn't meant to slide. Are those things pretty sturdy? I hope I didn't wreck it.

I can just set the SSD in the space made for the second SATA drive and tape it there. The thing is I will have to bend that power cord pretty low to get it to go in with the SSD sitting so low. (I don't think they'd planned on a drive being so low.) (Are those cords pretty sturdy?) Maybe if place an object beneath the SSD to raise it up a bit? I checked and an object just about the size of the SSD would be ideal. Any suggestions what a good object should be? Should it be metal? Does it matter? I think if metal is okay, I have the top half of an Altoids mints box that I can tape to the bottom and that would put the height of the SSD at a very comfortable position for the power cord. And maybe it will stay cooler just a little by sitting up a bit, rather than lying flat. Think that would work?

And should I be sure to keep the duct tape off any wires?

I should be able to fit the power cord and the SATA cord though into the SSD. (It's kind of tight with the cords of the original hard drive but it's doable.)

Thanks

20200110_193108.jpg 20200110_193221.jpg 20200110_193046.jpg 20200110_194620.jpg
    20200110_193108.jpg 20200110_193221.jpg 20200110_193046.jpg

9. GreggIllinois

I got it in there good. I took the bracket adapter and turned it upside down. Then I screwed the SSD into it and put it in the 3.5" bay. Then I just put a metal washer to wedge the bracket nice and tight and it's really tight in there anyway with all the wires. It's not going anywhere. Thanks for all the feedback. PS. Installed the SSD too. So far so good. Really a ton faster!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice