1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What should my downlaod speed be

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brewmalt, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brewmalt

brewmalt Thread Starter

I have Comcast Cable with supposedly a 12Mbps performance/15 Mbps high speed connection, using a Linksys Cable Modem rated at 43Mbps download and a Netgear WiFi firewall router rated at 108Mbps. Yet when I do a speed test I can't get better than 6Mbps download speed. THe Cable Modem and Router are 7 years old. I have to unplug them to reset them about twice a week. What should my download speed be with this configuration. I'm running a fairly new HP Touchsmart i3 for the speed test with no other network stuff going on.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Welcome to TSG:
    If you are paying for 12 you should be getting pretty close to that.
    Run a test with this and see if the results are the same.Run it on a hardwired connection,not wireless
    http://www.speedtest.net/
    Then boot up in safe mode and test again.Any difference ?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the modem and router have been used for their 7 year lifetime you should be satisfied with their long life and not worry about 50% performance. :)

You only get 6 Mbps with a connection directly to the modem? My personal rule of thumb is that we should get at least 90% of the advertised bandwidth, and investigate or complain if getting less than 80%.

4. brewmalt

brewmalt Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you (PedroGuy and TerryNet) - tried everything you suggested and my download speed directly connected (through mode and router) is always 6.03Mbps or slower. I'm going to get a new Cable modem and Router and finally retire these older ones. If it's still slow then Comcast is going to get a call.

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

Just a thought.If the speed is the same directly connected to the modem,I might be thinking this is a Comcast problem.Might consider going that route first.

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

I would take care of this little problem first, then proceed from there.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976271

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice