What should my virtual memory be set at?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

matrim

I have WinXP with a Gig of RAM. What should my virtual memory be set at? I sometimes play memory intensive games like Hallife 2 or Battlefield 2.

i usally keep the min and the max at the same level. this prevents lag due to the vm changing size

matrim

So what would having 4000 for min and max do? I have an old program (sign language) that gives a virtual memory error for anything under 4,000 (this is what the manufacturer said to do). With games the higher the virtual memory the better, or that doesn't matter with virtual?
Does having a lower amount make your machine faster/slower? Does a higher?

i use 1500MB as the min and the max

keep the running processes down as they use up most of your memory and use some of the cpu time

In gaming, once it has loaded and you are in the game -- you should be relying on ram, not virtual memory. As long as your installed memory is signifcantly greater than the "PEAK" usage you see after the game in the Task Manager -- you should not need to worry about VM. If it is close to your installed memory, you either need more ram or you need to minimize your startup configuration or run the game at less memory intensive settings.

matrim

(posted after i marked solved)
Actually, one more question :). Well two really :rolleyes:

1)What about virtual memory in other drives that I have partitioned? Necessary or set to no page file? I have a D and E drive. Games are on the E drive.

2)What if anything, can I do with programs that say they require at least 3 mb of virtual memory and its obvious i have that (I just bought the program out of a 5 buck bin, probably designed to run on 95 or 98)? I'm assuming it just won't run on XP for some reason?

Thanks again

I think some of your questions are answered here -- no you do not need to create more than one paging file:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

As for the game, it may or may not run on XP.

Try setting it up by going to Start > All Programs > Program Compatibility Wizard.

Not really my area -- so you might want to post any problems for this in the Gaming forum.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts