1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What should the pagefile size be for Windows XP Professional?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by computer-aces, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computer-aces

computer-aces Thread Starter

I know this may be an opinionated question, but I'd like to hear opinions and facts. I have an AMD XP 1900+ PC with 1 GB of DDR. What should my pagefile size be? I've heard some say it's near double the RAM and keep the minimum and max. the same size. I've also heard to not keep them the same size. I also heard that if you have enough RAM, you don't need a large pagefile. This is for a PC, not a server. Also, the HD on this PC is a 20 GB ATA100 7200 rpm formated with two partitions. The C: drive is a 5 GB NTFS partition and contains the pagefile and the O.S. The D: drive is roughly 15 GB FAT32 and contains all the programs and other junk.

Thanks in advance!!!

Cory

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The standard is 1.5x the installed RAM, but that seems excessive in your case. :) I'd try setting the minimum and maximum to the same number to avoid fragmentation, perhaps starting at 512mb.

3. Emtronics

Emtronics

On the other side, I'd let XP manage the page file and not set limits. 1 gig of DDR! My gosh, page filing shouldn't be a problem. :D

4. computer-aces

I currently have the min. and max. set to 512 mb on the NTFS C: drive with the O.S. This is also the setting I had set when I had 512 mb. I figured I might need to change it since I doubled the RAM amount. Is there any other settings I need to look at or change since adding more RAM?

Thanks for the info!!!

Cory

5. $teve

$teve

just a question...........did you just pop in the ram,boot up and windows found it ok.........or did you have to up the ram and do a reinstall?

just curious:)

6. computer-aces

I just popped in the RAM and the OS and BIOS found it ok. I'm assuming your asking this for the XP upgrade delima with licensing. I've changed out a couple things and have had no problem. I've changed out a video card, sound card, and now more RAM.

Cory

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!