1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What software for burning movies to DVD, autorun

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by zapp22, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

What package are you smart guys using to take movie files from your hard disk and burn them to DVD, and, if possible, making them autorun.... plug and play???

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

thanks my friend.
    downloading now. will post comments

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I have never used it, let me know what you think.

5. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

malware?

6. stantley

stantley

If you just need a good DVD/CD burning program try ImgBurn.

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

??

8. ngk0585

ngk0585

OK, given that you have a DVD creator program (Adobe Premier, Pinnacle Studio, Ulead, or even Nero) once you've creaded the VOB files in a directory called video_ts: Use Nero to burn the DVD. I've used this program for 8 years and sold wedding videos off my computer. I use a DVD printer and print my own labels on ink jet printable DVD's. Roxio does well too. If you use pinnacle to create the DVD's on your HD, it can also be used to created the DVD platter. Pinnacle does create a junk file that should be deleted however. It has to do with sound and re entering the DVD for editing. Useless. Hope this helps. Good luck

9. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

OK, I do have imageburn. gave it a look and started a tester on Sat before I had to run catch airplane.
    Also have Nero 8 'Essentials' but it created havoc for me when I loaded it [its a very invasive iteration, causing a lot of disk activity for unwanted searches, etc]. I uninstalled it.

the DVDstyler thing created a string of errors and seemed very thrashy when I tried it.
    I think ImageBurn will do the trick, though I could not figure it all out in a nanosecond. will look at the tutorials.

I used earlier Nero iterations with a lot of success for other things; not for autoplaying DVDs.

10. antimoth

antimoth

If you want FREE and simple to use, you can try DVDFlick. http://www.dvdflick.net/

What do you want for free? It has a few fixed style menus that will autorun. You can opt to play the whole DVD from one button, or you can set the buttons to play specific clips and jump back to the menu when done. There are no edit features, as far as I can see. Your clips have to be fully edited prior. It can burn to a DVD directly or you can make an ISO and use something like ImgBurn later. I don't have a problem with DVDflick, but some critics say its video encoding to DVD is not top notch. Perhaps if you got a hi-rez AVI from somewhere, but my video is all off my own cameras, so this program is adequate. And yes, I have run it.

If you don't mind spending money, there's Adobe Premiere and Pinnacle Studio. Much better of course. I own an earlier version of Premiere and a later version of Studio. Bottom line, I use the store bought software, but DVDFlick might meet your needs if you already have video ready to go to disk.

DVDStyler is tied in with sourceforge, just like DVDFlick, and if you got it from the official source, would not be malware. I've not used it. Looks like it would give more menu options.

11. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

ok, used DVD Flick and Imgburn [which it invokes to do burning to DVD].
    There are a number of tutorials out on Youtube that illustrate the use of DVD Flick - it seems to be quite popular.

I have a knack for breaking things that work "perfectly" for everyone else. Like my recent weeklong pilgrimage through the quagmire of "cloning" a windows 7 drive so that I could move to a bigger hard drive. easy, right? I spent about 50 hours on that one using every 'good' package known. the final answer was a breeze however, thanks to Paragon.

Anyway, so I took an ordinary movie of just over 1GB size, and avi file that plays beautifully - looks and sounds perfect.
    Burned the project, burned it to DVD, took 2 hours [why?], and finished the DVD with no errors.
    The folder on the DVD looks right, smells right, the menu displays right, but it won't play on anything known to man. It will load up, display menu, I hit the "play" button, my hard drive lights up like its caching something, but nothin happens. just sits.
    Tried it on my newish sony blu-ray player, on computers, used various software players, and at least the results are consistent.

so if any of you are DVD Flick experts, pls advise.

12. blumovie2

blumovie2

Free DVD Burner is an ideal tool to burn data DVD/CD. It can easily burn files onto most DVD/CD discs such as CD-R,CD-RW,DVD-R,DVD+R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW.

13. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

I see now that "burning movies" or "burning files to dvd" is easy - there are countless ways to do it.
    Burning Movie files to a DVD in a fashion that most any modern DVD player can autoplay it, or play from a start menu, is a different matter altogether.
    so far I haven't found an easy way to do it despite many packages tried and a number of guides/tutorials/instructives.
    everything is a variable: the system you use, the DVD burner you use, the DVD media used, alignment of the planets, etc...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!