1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What speed does this microSD card slot support?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have a Lenovo Miix 520 tablet with a microSD card slot. Looking at the specs (see attached PDF), I see it will support cards up to 2TB; but it says nothing about the speed it supports. I want the fastest read and write speeds I can get; but, I don't want to spend $200 on a UHS-3/U3 card if it supports only much slower rates (which would be a $50 card).

(I'm looking at 512GB cards.)

So, my knowledge is limited on this subject. Does anyone see anything in these specs indicating the speed the microSD card slot supports?

I'm guessing that since it says nothing about speed (that I can tell), it's probably the slowest.

In case it matters, mine has the i7-8550 processor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    From all of the specs that I can find, even the User Manual, the speed is not listed.

3. Alex Ethridge

Thanks for that. I already decided if there was a way to interpret differently, it had to be something beyond my understanding. I assume that since the speed is not listed, it has to be limited to a low level as if it were not, they would certainly be bragging about it in the specs.

I guess I'll go for one of the cheaper cards. I intend to use it as a permanently-attached extra partition.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    It does have USB3, so I wouldn't expect it to be super slow. Also, while I certainly understand not wanting to overspend, if the card would ever get moved or used in other equipment, it could pay to have a faster card.

5. Alex Ethridge

Thanks.

I thought of that; but I already have all the cards I need for other devices and anything I get henceforth will likely be capable of speeds beyond what is available for microSD at present.

And the price difference is two times more for the faster cards, minimum about $80 and faster about $160.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice