1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What temperature is normal for CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DZ007, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DZ007

DZ007 Thread Starter

Me and my friend both have a Intel P4 2.4GHZ CPU
    When we check in the BIOS, he's shows up around 90F to 100F, but mying is 130F normally. Which is considered normal? and is there anything I can do to make it lower?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

130F is 54C, way too hot for the P4 to be running normally. Mine is currently running at 33C, and I've only seen it over 40C a couple of times under heavy load. This is with the stock Intel heatsink.

My guess is if you have a good heatsink, you are in desperate need of better case cooling. Try taking the cover off and see if the temperature drops significantly. If so, it's case cooling you need. If not, it's a better heatsink, or better thermal bond between the HS and the CPU.

3. DZ007

DZ007 Thread Starter

I think I have the intel heatsink, it has the shiny sticker with intel stuff on it. My case has a few dozen holes on both sides, and the room temperature is pretty low, how else can I get better case cooling? I think I might need "better thermal bond between the HS and the CPU", but how do I get that?

4. JohnWill

First, remove the covers and see if the temperature drops significantly. Also, what is the system temperature?

5. DZ007

DZ007 Thread Starter

Here's everything that the says under the
    SYSTEM HARDWARE MONITOR:

CPU 48C/120F
    M/B 28C/82F
    CPU FAN SPEED 2428 RPM
    CHASIS FAN SPEED 0 RPM
    VCORE 1.520V
    +3.30V 3.280V
    +5.00V 4.865V
    +12.00V 12.676V

oh, and I don't think that there's a place to attach the chasis fan, it's already pretty crouded.

Thanks for your help johnwill!!!

6. hewee

hewee

7. DZ007

DZ007 Thread Starter

errrrr, the links don't say much about intel CPUs... but thanks anyways

8. hewee

hewee

9. JohnWill

If you have no fan other than the P/S fan, that's probably one issue. I'm not sure I understand the comment about the chassis fan, are you saying there's no place to mount the fan? There's obviously a place to plug it into the MB, since it's being read by the sensors. :)

10. DZ007

DZ007 Thread Starter

Yes, that's what I meant, there's no space left to mount the fan anywhere, and I checked the MB, there is at least on plug for the fan, yes.

11. suesman

suesman

Is there a fan on the back of the case? Or just those on the power supply?

12. DZ007

DZ007 Thread Starter

The only fans I have is the one inside the power supply, and the one on top of the CPU, this case is a little smaller than the normal cases so I guess it might not have been designed to be able to fit a case fan.

13. suesman

suesman

Can you maybe get a pic of the inside?

14. JohnWill

Well, I believe you need another exhaust fan. I dropped the temperature of my AMD system by 10C by adding a couple of exhaust fans...

15. DZ007

DZ007 Thread Starter

Well, I sent the guy who built my computer an e-mail, he told me that he used the heatsink and grease that came with the P4 CPU, I guess those are good enough right?

Ohhh, sound like I need a case fan, but I gotta figure out a way to put it somewhere, I'll take some pics tommorow and post them here... but I got a crappy 640x480 webcam so don't expect too much clarity. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice