1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What the best Graphics card for TV out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Russell Morton, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Russell Morton

Russell Morton Thread Starter

I am building a video jukebox, which will use the Tv as its only display. Media Player 9 uses very small fonts, and a good scan converter is required. I can use s-video output.

Any recommendations for or against particular cards ?

2. exocet

exocet

What price range are we looking at?

If money is no object, and you want stunning graphics in addition, you may want to opt for a Geforce4 Ti 4200 (or 4600) or the ATI Radeon 9700 (regular or pro).

3. Russell Morton

About the $100 range. For my application, clear presentation of text is the most important criteria.

4. symbios

symbios

THe real limitation you are looking at here is your T.V., not your video card. S-video, while great for streaming video such as a DVD movie, is proof to me that the T.V. you are using is not HDTV.

The amount of lines that most T.V.s can produce is pretty pathetic, and totally unsuitable for text display, particularly if you are planning on using small fonts. I do not recommend that you purchase any video card and try to do this, it will not be readable and your will be very dissapointed.

There are other solutions out there. I'm not sure what you have access to, but digital projectors are awesome, even ones that are a couple years old. The cheaper/older ones have native reolutions of 800x600, and more expensive ones will get into the XGA (1024x768) range. Your can size your screen as big as you want, making it a lot easier to read smaller fonts. And, these all will take a normal SVGA 15-pin connection. If your don't have access to one, they are out there for rent, and it may be the best solution for you.

If you do have HDTV, you have to use a digital video card, as this is the way the T.V. can display the greater resolution. Anything else is analog, and you won't get enough lines in there to display text.

If you think about it, if T.V.s could display this, everyone would have a 35" monitor!:confused:

5. Russell Morton

Yes the TV is HDTV and has one component video input available, it does not have a digital input. What we need is a graphics card with progressive scan output.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice