1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What the heck did I catch?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Daveman1, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daveman1

Daveman1 Thread Starter

I downloaded zonealarm, (The new one), and now my computer constantly wants my password to get on the net.
    I cannot get rid of this window. I tryed scanreg/restore from a couple of days ago and the problem persist. CTL/ALT/DEL merits the same results.
    I'm going to go fly ace combat 4 now, but look foword to ya'lls help tommorow.
    Later,
    Dave Um-Kay

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

What does
    mean exactly? Please describe starting from your computer starting up what happens that indicates to you this occurs.

A good idea would be for you to uninstall free Zone Alarm, after you download free Sygate, from http://www.sygate.com. Uninstall ZA; Restart your computer then install Sygate. Disable your anti-virus' real-time scanner before any install.

3. Daveman1

Daveman1 Thread Starter

My computer started up normaly, but the type in password box I useually get when I click on the desk top icon "connect me to the net" shows up and won't go away.
    I uninstalled ZA 3.1.195 and reinstalled my old zone alarm and everything cool now.
    I just would like a better free firewall if it was avadable and it worked.
    What is this sygate?

Dave

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Sygate is another free firewall that I think is better than Zone Alarm.

5. Daveman1

Daveman1 Thread Starter

I found another post on here explaining about ZA causeing dialout to pop up. I think I now know how get along with the new ZA. I will defanantly check out sygate though, Thanks. Why do you think sygate is better?

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

I think Sygate is better because it doesn't show every stray packet on the Internet as a hit on your ports. It only shows a hit when there actually is one.

Sygate is just slightly more diffficult to use in that you have to deny Internet Access to W32 Kernel Core Component, and maybe one other like ZA. Otherwise it's the basically the same as ZA only as stated above in paragraph 1.

Try it you'll see. Just uninstall ZA and restart your computer before installing Sygate.

With both firewalls, 'don't let anything out to the Internet you don't know what it is.'
    Yes, lots of folks had to go to http://www.oldversion.com and get the older version of Zone Alarm. But even then sometimes ZA auto-starting Dial-Up Networking (DUN) as in your case still happens. In that case I've uninstall ZA and then unbound Windows internal Network to close the 65,535 virtual ports just like a firewall does in Win9x to WinMe as described on the GRC website http://www.grc.com in the Network Bondage Section of the Shields Up site there.

Note that I don't Unbind if a firewall can be used. I don't unbind and use a firewall too. I think it can slow your connection.

Please see the following attachment for more information.

Attached Files:

7. Daveman1

Daveman1 Thread Starter

Well I downloaded sygate, and it took about 25 min. I will check it out soon. Just wanted to say thanks for the lead.

Dave

8. JohnPearce2

JohnPearce2

I've used sygate personal firewall "free" version for over a year....exellent

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice