1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What the HECK is Going on HERE?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Nova_Wind, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nova_Wind

Nova_Wind Thread Starter

Well it seems like i'm getting countless access attempts. It says so on ZA. (Look at picture). Should i worry? Because it wont stop. And what does it actually mean? Is someone nuking me or trying to hack me?

Attached Files:

2. michael_jii

michael_jii

it could be that or... one other program or programs you have blocked with zone alarm is trying to send and recieve data on the web, it may be harmless

3. TOGG

TOGG

This is a 'how long is a piece of string' type question.

My ZA details show 96603 intrusions, 2814 of which were serious but I have had versions of ZA for years and each new version is an upgrade so I assume that the 96000 figure goes back to first installation.

By contrast, I have only had version 3.7.211 for about a week, so it only shows 18 access attempts so far. If you have only had ZA installed for short time then you do appear to be getting a lot of 'hits' but, if they are not getting through, you don't have a problem.

Critics of ZA, and other software firewalls, suggest that most, if not all, of the hits registered are harmless pings connected with normal internet traffic and do not represent hacking attempts. It is implied that this type of firewall only gives users a false sense of security.

I do not have the technical knowledge to decide whether that is an accurate assessment of the situation so I choose to keep using my firewall.

4. brindle

brindle

I have to agree with TOGG. I've had zone alarm for years and never had a security problem.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. michael_jii

michael_jii

yes,
    if you ask me i think it is harmless
    at least it is blocking it...

:D

6. Nova_Wind

Nova_Wind Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Guys. Maybe allowing all programs to access the server part on ZA will decrease the access attemtps? What do you all think? I dont quite fully understand what the server part is on ZA, so can anyone mind explaining it to me? And what would happen to i allow access for "Trusted" and "Internet" under "Server" do to my programs? Thanks.

7. michael_jii

michael_jii

i dont think you "need" to allow acess to all you programs if you dont use them on the net, you just need to put up with all the acccess attempts

8. TOGG

TOGG

I don't allow any programs to have server rights because I don't use any that need them.

I base my decision on the assumption that server, in this context, means allowing the program to listen out for and respond to requests for packets of information from my computer while online. I only want to allow programs to request and receive information, not supply it.

If you use peer to peer programs like Kazzaa I assume you have to allow them server rights and I believe that the Mailwasher program also needs it but I don't have either of those.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice