1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What The ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by XPmonkey, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XPmonkey

XPmonkey Thread Starter

okay.....since i've installe dmy video card one of my Hard Drives has been powering down and powering up periodically.

sometimes i can hear it whine down then up slowly and other times i can hear just a thunk then it whines up again.

i dunno how to find out or what may be causing this.

sometimes it hangs my computer and it's rebooted twice.

help? :eek:

2. Pancake

Pancake

Need to know the card make and details and the motherboard make. Are you running enough power.What is you psu wattage.

3. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    I think pancake is on the right track. You need to tell us the PSU rating. Bigger and more hardware demands higher Wattage. Your symptoms are classic signs: hanging and shutting down and a HDD winding down.

To roughly calculate how big of a PSU you need, try this online calculator:

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

4. XPmonkey

XPmonkey Thread Starter

okay how do i find out my PSU wattage??

I am running an ECS Elitegroup P4 Mainboard P4VMM2
    Forsa GeForce FX5200 video card
    Windows XP
    One 30 Gig Hard drive (primary)
    One 40 Gig Hard Drive (Slave)
    One 3.5 floppy
    One 24x10x40 cdrw

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It should be on the label stuck to the PSU viewable from inside the computer case.

6. Pancake

Pancake

You will also find that the Forsa GeForce FX5200 is a 8x AGP card and your board (check in the hand book) is only a 4x AGP slot. This is the problem and you will have to change it for a X4. A lot of people make this mistake when buying a card.
    Please let me know the outcome.

7. XPmonkey

XPmonkey Thread Starter

well al lthe bords (so i was told) are backwrds compatable so i went along with it. i guess they were wrong. I'm going to try to uninstall the board and plug back in my slave drive see if the problem stops. it has since i unplugged my second hard drive and as i write this that leaves me to believ that the card IS in fact bckwards compatible.

hmm.

and my PSU wattage is 400 Watts max

8. Pancake

Pancake

The power looks ok.There maybe a setting in your bios that allows you to run it at 4X.Some AGP slots run at different voltages so check that out against the video card

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

GeForce FX5200

Systems Requirement :
    Pentium® 3, Pentium® 4, AMD® Athlon® or compatible CPU
    64MB system memory
    AGP 2X or AGP 2X/4X/8X universal slot with AGP Bus 2.0 compliant
    Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
    DVD playback requires DVD drive
    Operating systems support :

Windows® 98 SE/ Me/ 2000/ XP
    Windows® NT (All), Linux Compatible

10. XPmonkey

XPmonkey Thread Starter

yah evrything seems to work fine once i disconnected my E: drive (that's the one that was powering up & down) Now when i plug in my E: drive i can't even boot up the coputer. I get the Windows XP Splash screen and then it just goes black when it should be going to the Logon screen.

maybe my 40 gig is fubar........god i hope not.

11. Pancake

Pancake

If you uninstall the card and run the onboard video,how does it go then with E drive is connected.?

12. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    XPmonkey:

I had the exact thing happening with an IBM HDD I had as a slave. It kept winding down and it got so bad it stopped the computer from booting. The I started getting scrambled drive name and model in the IDE detect. I suspected an impending failure and removed it.

If you can boot with the drive, get whatever files you want off of it ASAP! Also, if you can, run a HDD diagnostics on it.

13. XPmonkey

XPmonkey Thread Starter

okay well i went through my Bios and redetected all my drives and still it went to the black screen after the XP Home splash....but this time i let it sit to see if it would do anything and bout 5 minutes later CHDSK started saying that one of my disks needed to be checked for consistencey. It gave me a bunch of bad sectors that were unreadable and deleted some files (just music) and recovered some lost sectors. Now it boots fine with both drives and no more powering up & down.

I'm going to try to reinstall my Video card tomorrow as well as run my defragment utility.

hanks for all your help and i'll let you know how it goes.
    I have to be at work in 5 hours so i should get some sleep.

(Oh & FYI Pancake it wouldn''t run with the E: drive connected and on board video)

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Download and run the hd mgf’s utility for checking the drive. It may still be under warranty and you will need the diagnostic info for the RMA.

As to your ps [while it does not seem to be the cause of the problem] just because it is 400W does not mean it is a quality unit. Poor quality ps cause all types of problems. If is says foxxcon, deer, allied, or powmax; do yourself a favor and dump it. Quality units include Antec, Enermax, Enlight, Coolmax. There are others, however those are the ones I use in my builds.

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

xpmonkey, we do not appreciate the use of obscenities in posts, or even the asterisks that subsitute for the, please do not post such in the future. I have edited the title accordingly.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice