1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What to choose ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stecks, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stecks

stecks Thread Starter

Alright here it is I'm looking for the right video card for my up an coming system build now my board I'll be getting has a 8x AGP now I need help with what to go with... Do I buy Nvidia or ATI ... I just wanna know anyones input... The card will be use for anywhere from light to medium gaming nothing extreme as of yet.

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Do you have to go AGP?

If thats the way it HAS to be.. give us a price range (give us a price range anyway)

I strongly encourage you to go PCI Express though.

3. stecks

stecks Thread Starter

For the time yes I have to AGP because that's what I got for the board. I would love to go with PCI-E but that's gonna be for a future upgrading point in time. For price range I'd have to say nothing more than say $150.00 at this point in time.

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161053&ATT=14-161-053&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150190&ATT=14-150-190&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch

There you go, one of each...

Me personally I'd go for the ATI, even though I believe the Nvidia outperforms in that price range...

I like ATI a little better usually, the drivers will uninstall (correctly) if the need eveer comes (Nvidia doesn't seem to like this idea)

Also ATI seems to have a slightly better image as far as quality goes.

Those are my opinions at least, any more questions feel free to ask here.

5. stecks

stecks Thread Starter

Thanks
    The ATI looks nice.. I've got a comp store just a bit out of town for me that could sell me an ATI 256 DDR AGP for $79.99 now I don't know if that seems a little too good for a pricing. But that's how the store works to beat the other stores for better pricings.
    I got one question as I saw in photo's for both cards do you exactly have to plug the PSU into the card ?

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

If the card has the slot for power, use it, the newer cards need the extra juice.

Also, check the chip on that ATI card your buying, 256MB DDR doesn't mean anything by itself as far as a graphics card goes, its the architecture. So find the model name (Radeon x800, x1300, etc.)

So find that and check its specs, or post the name here.

7. stecks

stecks Thread Starter

Will do could find all that out by this weekend if anything

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/549727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice